Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Hello from Rhode Island

Hi there!
I have not purchased a bus yet, still researching. I want to thank you all for all the great info. I have a question. Are you able to insulate enough to live in it year round?

Peacefulorchid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Insulation is the primary concern for those of us up north. Our summer hot weather is brief so most of us do without AC. The insulation, even without AC, is a big help during the summer. It goes without saying how much insulation is needed during the winters here. I've spent two winters in my current bus. The first winter was miserable in a natural bus as a metal tent. I insulated last summer and this recent winter was remarkably more comfortable, including heating costs at about 1/3rd the cost when compared to the natural bus.

There are a good number of us that live in our buses year round. Insulation is definitely a very important part of being able to comfortably survive the winters and summers. It reduces heating and cooling needs. The cost of insulation is paid back multiple times within just a few years.

Since you don't have a bus yet you should know that we're very good at figuring out what kind of bus fits various people. With a little information we can help you find your relatively ideal bus. More than that we'd like to insure you don't get stuck with a lemon.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. I'm actually have my CdL permit and going for my license at the end of the month. I'm driving a 38ft school bus. It would be for myself to live in. I would like to make the remodeling process as economical as possible without skimping on the important stuff. I've been liking into solar energy systems as well. Are school ies treated the same as an RV? Can we tow a small vehicle or add a small platform on the back for a motorcycle? I would appreciate any insight. I want to do this right from the beginning. Also, where do you all park your homes?
Peacefulorchid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
As an bus/motorhome conversion, it is generally treated the same as an RV. A CDL is not necessary even with air brakes. You should check with the DMV and your insurer in your own state. Rules vary widely between states for this type of vehicle. Avoid telling the DMV and insurers that you intend to live in the vehicle if possible. I didn't say lie, I said avoid giving certain information to make your insurance experience smoother.

The majority of us here are on tight budgets, and a build can be done relatively inexpensively. It depends very much on what your vision of the end product is for you bus.
There is a great deal of information about solar here, and experienced bus owners with solar systems.
Many people tow a vehicle or trailer with their bus. Some of us with wheelchair lifts have a garage in the bus for motorcycles.
Where we park varies as much as the people driving the buses. National forests are popular for boondocking, but everybody has to go shopping and do laundry sometime. Some people are actually traveling. Others have negotiated a more permanent place to park. It all depends on what you're wanting to do with your bus. Just like building it. I like the idea of getting insulation in the ceilings and walls first so you can make a heated area during the winter. Others roam where the temperatures are more comfortable and don't feel the need for the same type of build. That's to broad of a question to answer.

Are you finding anything similar to what you want in your end of the country?
where do you all park your homes?