Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 140HS 84 pass
Engine: RE 5.9L ER6BTA230 w/ MT643 Trans
Rated Cap: 84
Hello from Riverview, FL

Hello,
I’m so glad I found this forum, what a perfect place to learn about bus conversions and the ‘skoolie’ life.
My plan is to ‘downsize’ my life very soon (student loans are killing me, and I’ll be paying them for the next 30 years). So, my plan is a full-time living type conversion.
I’m hoping to find a pretty sound bus (mechanically) and convert it to have a shower and a composting toilet. An “RV” style smaller kitchen with a stovetop, oven, and medium size fridge (I like to cook).
I’m thinking that I may try to build/design a ‘murphy’ style bed setup that pivots down, but “sideways” rather than murphy style.

I’m sure the plans will evolve as I start saving and get closer…. Though my first step is to find a way to get out of my apartment so I can save more each month, so I’m speaking with friends in the area looking for a small plot of land someone will let me live on temporarily while I build in exchange for labor/rent.

See you guys in the forum! J

jpm9909/ Jay

jpm9909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome Jay

You'll get a surplus of information here. I'd sure like to know how to set up a sideways murphy bed like that. Looking forward to watching your build.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #3

Hello Jay

Hello Jay new member myself. Wanted to mention on HGTV, last week was a story about a bus convertion. They made a bed in the rear that was a full size desk in the down position, when the desk was pivoted up to the wall, the full size bed fell into place. It was a nice setup. Don't remember the name of the show.
rekless70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

"They made a bed in the rear that was a full size desk in the down position, when the desk was pivoted up to the wall, the full size bed fell into place. It was a nice setup. Don't remember the name of the show. "

Huh! That's kinda exactly what I was thinking of. A full-size bed that "folds up" - but on the "long side" not the headboard. And when "closed" the bed will be an entertainment center (w/ shelves on the side for DVDs/books/etc)

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try to find that episode! lol
Old 05-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I've been playing with a foam core mock up for the floorplan, I'll upload the photos to try to explain my idea better.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Concept name

Will be uploading some preliminary mock up floorplan ideas soon, but I think I've decided on a name for my future bus - (is it bad luck to name a bus before you buy it?)
Old 06-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm9909 View Post
Hello,
I’m so glad I found this forum, what a perfect place to learn about bus conversions and the ‘skoolie’ life.
My plan is to ‘downsize’ my life very soon (student loans are killing me, and I’ll be paying them for the next 30 years). So, my plan is a full-time living type conversion.
I’m hoping to find a pretty sound bus (mechanically) and convert it to have a shower and a composting toilet. An “RV” style smaller kitchen with a stovetop, oven, and medium size fridge (I like to cook).
I’m thinking that I may try to build/design a ‘murphy’ style bed setup that pivots down, but “sideways” rather than murphy style.

I’m sure the plans will evolve as I start saving and get closer…. Though my first step is to find a way to get out of my apartment so I can save more each month, so I’m speaking with friends in the area looking for a small plot of land someone will let me live on temporarily while I build in exchange for labor/rent.

See you guys in the forum! J

jpm9909/ Jay
We're in Sarasota, Florida. Holler if you need anything
Old 06-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereFast View Post
We're in Sarasota, Florida. Holler if you need anything
Will do, I'd definitely love to pick your brain about where your shopped for the bus.... the prices I've seen here in FL through craigslist and other online auction listings seem a bit high... thanks for saying hello!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm9909 View Post
Will do, I'd definitely love to pick your brain about where your shopped for the bus.... the prices I've seen here in FL through craigslist and other online auction listings seem a bit high... thanks for saying hello!
If you ever wanna come meetup, we love to meet new folks. I can help you find a deal on a nice bus.
Check out my bus, its pretty sweet for the $2000 I paid for it!
Roxy and I are in Eustis, near Apopka.

There aren't many good deals I see popping up in FL. The export market and under-funded school system are two big problems with finding a local bus worth buying.

Then there's BGA. Where you can buy a $3000 bus for $8000 and they'll "even" fudge the affadavit FOR you to title it as an RV.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you ever wanna come meetup, we love to meet new folks. I can help you find a deal on a nice bus.
Check out my bus, its pretty sweet for the $2000 I paid for it!
Roxy and I are in Eustis, near Apopka.

There aren't many good deals I see popping up in FL. The export market and under-funded school system are two big problems with finding a local bus worth buying.

Then there's BGA. Where you can buy a $3000 bus for $8000 and they'll "even" fudge the affadavit FOR you to title it as an RV.

Hello! and thanks, we'll def have to set up a meet sometime.

I can't remember if it was here on the skoolie forum or elsewhere, but I remember reading someone's post about having to purchase out of state and drive a bus back here because of the pricing (ouch!). lol

So, yeah - any tips on shopping would be amazing. Currently I'm just in the 'planning' stages. I'm hoping to find some kind of small RV I can get into to live in so I can give up my apt and save the 900/month rent (and use that to save for a bus buy).

Once I'm living cheaper, I should be able to start getting serious (I have a friend from work that I'm in the process of getting permission to use their land to park on while I build).
Old 06-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, I appreciate that!