Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Hello from southeast kansas

Hello everyone! My wife and I picked up a school bus recently. We picked up a 2006 Thomas with a Mercedes 4-cylinder diesel. We’ve downed it for only a couple weeks now but have already removed the seats. Next is the heating duct work on the driver side and the rubber floors. Then moving onto removing the panels and installing insulation. Beyond that I’m lost. We plan on building this to sustain a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teenage children.

We keep bouncing back and forth on floor plan ideas, and we have to figure out our electrical system. We know we want to go all electric with solar panels, and I’m not very well versed in wiring an rv, but I was thinking of using 24v batteries to handle the work loads. We will be using a tv, video game system, DVD player, induction cooking plates, some form of an oven, electric heaters, washer, dryer, instant hot water heater.

KillianPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillianPatton View Post
Hello everyone! My wife and I picked up a school bus recently. We picked up a 2006 Thomas with a Mercedes 4-cylinder diesel. We’ve downed it for only a couple weeks now but have already removed the seats. Next is the heating duct work on the driver side and the rubber floors. Then moving onto removing the panels and installing insulation. Beyond that I’m lost. We plan on building this to sustain a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teenage children.

We keep bouncing back and forth on floor plan ideas, and we have to figure out our electrical system. We know we want to go all electric with solar panels, and I’m not very well versed in wiring an rv, but I was thinking of using 24v batteries to handle the work loads. We will be using a tv, video game system, DVD player, induction cooking plates, some form of an oven, electric heaters, washer, dryer, instant hot water heater.

I would suggest propane for cooking, heating, even propane refrigerator and certainly hot water - expecting solar to do all you're asking is a BIG ask and very expensive, to say nothing about reliability
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote