Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello from Southern Kentucky!

Hi everyone! I joined here back in October and have been lurking for a little while, because I knew what was going to eventually happen. I started getting ideas and deciding what to look for in a bus. On February 3rd I drove almost an hour from my house to look at a bus. It was exactly what i wanted and I was hooked. I couldn't find enough reasons not to buy it so I did.

It's a 1992 Ward Senator, International, with DT466 engine and Allison transmission. The fine folks that I bought it from had already started demolition to convert it but quit due to medical issues. They had removed all the seats and probably 90% of the roof panels, all of which were left inside the bus so I do still have them. I have some pictures from their Craigslist ad and some pictures that I took as well. I made a quick test drive around the area, never having driven anything this large before. I placed a couple phone calls to get her insured and on the road back to my house. I ended up with Progressive commercial policy for private bus, to the tune of $288 per year. I left without a license plate but with my wife following me in our car and headed back to Somerset.

I went to the court clerk that afternoon and completed the transfer, and got my new license plate. She's still registered as "BU" for now but I checked with them on changing that to RV later and it seems to be a very simple process here. I don't think they even want to inspect it.

I definitely have my work cut out for me so I'll post a thread in the conversion section to help me keep everything organized and in one place. I look forward to learning all I can here and helping out where I'm able.

I attached a pic here of my #52 after I parked her in the driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170203_180401.jpg (198.9 KB, 5 views)
ironrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Beautiful, and a masterpiece of an engine that 466. Well done.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I just posted some more pics on my conversion thread here: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/bu...ins-16731.html
Old 02-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrule View Post
Hi everyone! I joined here back in October and have been lurking for a little while, because I knew what was going to eventually happen. I started getting ideas and deciding what to look for in a bus. On February 3rd I drove almost an hour from my house to look at a bus. It was exactly what i wanted and I was hooked. I couldn't find enough reasons not to buy it so I did.

It's a 1992 Ward Senator, International, with DT466 engine and Allison transmission. The fine folks that I bought it from had already started demolition to convert it but quit due to medical issues. They had removed all the seats and probably 90% of the roof panels, all of which were left inside the bus so I do still have them. I have some pictures from their Craigslist ad and some pictures that I took as well. I made a quick test drive around the area, never having driven anything this large before. I placed a couple phone calls to get her insured and on the road back to my house. I ended up with Progressive commercial policy for private bus, to the tune of $288 per year. I left without a license plate but with my wife following me in our car and headed back to Somerset.

I went to the court clerk that afternoon and completed the transfer, and got my new license plate. She's still registered as "BU" for now but I checked with them on changing that to RV later and it seems to be a very simple process here. I don't think they even want to inspect it.

I definitely have my work cut out for me so I'll post a thread in the conversion section to help me keep everything organized and in one place. I look forward to learning all I can here and helping out where I'm able.

I attached a pic here of my #52 after I parked her in the driveway.
I have the same bus. Mine's #50 from Todd County.
These are EXCELLENT buses. Congrats!

Did you get air ride?

here's mine-
Old 02-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome! I love the look of these and yep, air ride it was. Very smooth coming back from Columbia with it, even though the seats were bouncing around in the back. It's governed at what feels like (and looks like) 58 on the speedometer. I worked on it a little more this afternoon, checked all the fluids again and did some much needed window cleaning! Hoping to take it out tomorrow and fuel up, then do some driving practice over at the school parking lot which is less than half a mile from my house and almost always empty on weekends. I bolted a couple seats back onto the chair rails so that my wife and daughter can ride along if they'd like to. I do have an unfortunate but mild oil leak I need to keep an eye on.

Tags
international, kentucky, senator, transit, ward