Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #1

Hello from Tennessee!

I recently purchased a piece of mountain land, and after considering everything from an RV to Cobb, I have finally decided to convert a school bus. I have not yet purchased a bus, but I have a fairly good idea of what I want. My first question is if anyone has any experience with a complete off grid solar system? I do have the option of running grid electric to my property, but I think a 48V solar system would be best. I recently found a 48V DC heat/air system that I think would be a great thing, although I definitely will be supplementing with wood in the winter. The problem is that the unit requires 16 batteries. If I buy a 72 - 84 passenger rear engine bus, will that give me enough space under the bus for storage? I will need additional batteries also for lights, refrigerator, TV etc. But the heat/ac will be the biggest draw on the system. Does anyone have any ideas? This system is for up to 24/7 use on the heat/ac and refrigerator. I have Chihuahua's so they can't get too hot or cold. Here is the link to the system, the 20/24 heavy duty system: Solar DC Air Conditioning Systems

Tat2Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

If the bus is going to be moved a lot I would say you would have enough room under a rear engine bus but it would be a lot of weight to haul around.

If the bus is going to be moved but the 48V equipment not used while on the road I would build the battery bank in a shed.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Start here.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Welcome

where in TN?

Also keep in mind if you will be moving much that the rear overhang can get you into trouble in the mountains

You will notice almost all "mountain/gravel road/rural" buses are FE with high ground clearance, this is due to tight up hills etc when turning off main roads

Main reason I didn't go with an 84 pass RE bus is that I couldn't get it up my driveway and into field due to elevation issues and changing
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #5

Gatlinburg, TN. Or close to it anyway. The driveway is steep, but well maintained I was told the previous owner had a 38 ft class A motorhome that he drove up. There is a switchback halfway up but it has a wide swing. It looks like it was deliberately widened for a longer vehicle.
Tat2Phil is offline   Reply With Quote