Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Hello From Texas

Hello from the very beginning infant stages of planning. Will be doing a lot of research before I even get started, but I am very excited to see so much information all in one location!

PS - This will be my tiny house...not a vacation RV...

robjones2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #2

Year: 1985
Chassis: gmc 6000
Engine: 350 chevy
Rated Cap: 26500
i did the same thing before starting my big prodject. i looked at all the converted busses i could find on the web, & 1 thing i saw in comin with the majority was that they all were works of art, built by the hands & best ideas of the owner. but iv not seen 1 yet that was build from using old rv parts,.. so thats how i started.. i found 3 old 70s rvs, & started stripping them down.. but then like a sighn from the schoolie gods, i went to a auto auction & found a 2015 champion coachman that was wrecked otw to be deliverd. PERFECT!!. It was so bad that nobody wanted the mess, so i was only bidder @ 300.00. long story short,.. look at the auctions.. youll find a nice rv for all your appliences, & power sorses.
jays 6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #3

Jays 6000

Hey thanks for the idea. Love to see what youve done.
robjones2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Welcome. I am from TEXAS but after playing Marine am stuck in NC. I have an 86 ford Thomas that was bought from the school district . The motor runs great the tranny shifts as expected but I can only do 49 mph (no trips home to texas in the bus yet) my issue is not necessarily the motor/tranny combo but the rear end gearing. I have a rear gear of 6.50 which was great for what the bus was designed for. Stop and go, back roads and highways with a 55 speed limit the texas buses might be geared for higher speed just cause the speed limit's between areas are higher. I would like to suggest not only motor tranny combos but find out the rear end gearing of what you are looking at? I can't say I made a mistake because the Jolly Roger is everything I was expecting and never thought about highway speed's? Probably my biggest expense is going to be either another rear end or re-gearing the one I have. Just one more thing in my opinion that you need to keep an eye on. I can't say it bit me in the butt because I didn't think of it and I am to far into mine to back up. So 49mph it is.
Also when you do get started everyone here likes pics. You wont find any from me because i refuse to update to any of the new windows stuff cause everything I have now is older but is working great and everytime I try to upload pics from any of my computers I get the I have to update to continue and I can't afford to go that direction yet. There is already a thread on the forum about posting pics.
The only other thing I can say is HOWDY Y'ALL
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Not sure what axle you have but re-gearing is not that big a deal. My '46 was originally geared to barely do 45 mph. After a tranny & rear end swap, the speed will be 65-70.

And thank you for your service Tex. Hope you make it back to the Lone Star soon.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote