Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Hello from Texas!

Looking forward to starting this new adventure and being called a skoolie! I guess I'm going to get my fill of being on a bus, hence the user name, as I drive a school bus and now have decided that when I downsize in the next year, I'm looking to buy a bus to live in and be able to travel in it when schools not in session. I'm looking for a 40' snub nose and have found some thru an auction site that are from Ohio. They have some rust issues and I would like to know if that is something I should stay away from or look at buying from an individual whose bus has spent more time in drier conditions. Whatever info you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks🙂

Onthebus24/7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: NaviStar DT466e 7.6
Rated Cap: 29,000
Welcome! I'm also in the pre-stages of full-time bus living. As I continue my search this project I tend to stay away from buses located in "the rust belt". With school districts all over the continent I figure that there has to be much better options than getting one out of the northeast. With all of customizations that can be made and accomplished, I see it best to start with the most solid foundation. Just my $0.02 anyways.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. I think I will look elsewhere for my future home. Somewhere in and around Texas. Guess in the back of my mind I thought the rust issue might be one I don't need to take on and knowing others think the same is reassuring. I'm so excited to have found this site. Looking forward to learning everything I can from others that have gone before me and maybe help someone else down the road myself!
Thanks again and happy and safe travels to you��
Onthebus24/7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:19 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Exciting! Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome from another Tejano! Definitely worth your time to make the rounds of area school districts. Still the best way to buy a skoolie. You can generally get the maintenance logs and often chat with the service techs who know every unit inside out. And Texas is a great place to source a unit. No salty roads and generally very well maintained.

Plus...you pay the wholesale price that any reseller will mark up by about 200%.

Best of luck on your hunt.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote