Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 04:24 AM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 liter International Diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Red face Hello from Texas

Hello!
I have been wanting to convert a school bus for years and finally just purchased one. I bought a 2000 Bluebird 24 passenger bus with a handicap lift. It has a International 7.3 liter engine. I am picking it up Friday. I have a one trip permit from the DMV but am having trouble finding insurance. :/ I can't really get it titled as a recreational vehicle until I am done with the conversion right? I am nervous about the plumbing and electrical set up but excited about the rest. A few questions if you don't mind:
1. Would wood plank flooring with a poly coating over it (using mixol) work ok?
2. Would tile not be a good idea for the bathroom area because of the bus movement?
3. I am not very handy and was wondering if an RV company (or someone else) would install the plumbing and electrical work. I don't mind learning but want it done correctly... Lol
Thanks!

ElspethFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:40 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Elspeth,

Read my thread "Heavy Fuel" to get an idea of what you're getting into. Granted, I'm doing a full-blown down-to-the-rivets rebuild, but it should help you with some decisions.

We have a State Farm agent who is used to our wacky vehicles and got us a screaming deal on insurance. PM me if you want details.

BTW, Lake Jackson isn't too far away from where I am. There's a storage yard near Richmond that allows people to work on their vehicles AND has electricity available for free to help with the building process. I know there's two 40' spots available right now if you act FAST today.

Best of fortunes!

M
Old 09-07-2016, 04:42 AM   #3

Thanks! I will call them in the AM! PMing you for info.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome! --- Always great to hear from another Texan (there are quite a few of us here).

Regarding flooring...quite a few people have gone with various types of wood and others avoid it due to the potential for swelling up from the moisture that Skoolies typically experience. Products like vinyl plank and rubber tile are durable and will not react to water.

Likewise ceramic & stone tile. Anything larger than an inch square is likely to fracture from the flexing of the body. And conventional mortar won't last anywhere except maybe a small and very rigid countertop. Even there, you are better of going with an epoxy grout.

The plumbing on an RV is pretty straightforward and any pro should be able to provide help. But the electrical systems are another story. They can get quite complex if you are dealing with very different overlapping systems. 12v DC...110v AC...starting system...house battery system...solar...generator...onboard power...shore power...

Me...I'm looking for some serious professional help in that area as I am a total electrodunce. Talking to a friend with the fire department here about the local company that builds and maintains their very complex rescue and support vehicles.

Once again...welcome and best of luck on your build.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 AM   #5

Hello! Thanks for your response. I read somewhere that 15#tar paper will help with water resistance. I might look more into that. Thank you for the info on the tile and grout! Hopefully I can find some rubber tile I like. I am hoping to go with solar power eventually but it is pretty costly to start out I think. :/
Old 09-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
Welcome! It seems like there are a good number of people on here from the Houston area.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Hi Elspeth. Just joined Skoolie today. And I just bought my first bus earlier this year. Can't help you this time but I'm from Texas too. I plan to convert my bus also but need to do a lot of research first. Good luck.
Bud
budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Hi Elspeth, it's always nice to have another Texan join our ranks. Welcome to the Skoolie madness .

i'm going to take the chance that no moisture will get onto my bus floor and am going with a wood pergo laminate t&g flooring. As far as tile flooring goes I read somewhere that they make a flexible grout these days that might work well to help alleviate any cracking.

Like Tango mentioned plumbing is fairly straight forward but electrical can be quite complicated and if done incorrectly it can be deadly. I have a build on this page called "Southern Comfort". Feel free to following along for ideas and tips/tricks on how to make our Skoolies livable.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:42 AM   #9

Thanks! I am debating this particular bus right now because it supposedly isn't built to go over 55 mph (which would make for some very slow road trips).
Old 11-09-2016, 02:49 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
You might want to keep it between 55 and 60 anyway, strictly from a fuel economy/drivetrain longevity point of view.

Of course it's easy to say that when you have a bus that will run 65 @2100rpm with no problems. I think my tranny probably has a top gear that is locked out right now, have to find some time to get into a shop and have that checked out (and unlocked, if they will do it).

You might be able to get the max speed turned up but just make sure you don't go past the RPM redline set by the manufacturer.... and in fact keep it somewhat below that whenever possible. Your engine and transmission will thank you for it.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote