Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 03:24 AM   #1

Hello from the UK and some questions

Hello!

I'm 3 weeks from unemployment and I'm giving some serious thought to spending at least a couple of months travelling the US in some kind of converted bus or van.

I've got some concerns about whether I'll be able to legally buy and drive a converted bus, as I'll be able to drive in the states with a International Driving Permit but I won't be able to get a CDL (as it seems that I would need a permanent residential address).

If I were able to get a already converted skoolie that has been re-classified as a RV, do you still need to have a CDL? Or does that requirement no longer apply?

I've got my fingers crossed and I'm already looking at eBay, Craigslist and other sites for buses and van and LGV to convert. Can you tell I'm looking forward to it?

UkRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I can't speak to the International Driving Permit, most states do not require anything but an ordinary drivers license if the vehicle is registered as an RV. It would go by the state that the vehicle is registered and plated in. Also not sure how you would register a vehicle if you don't have an address. You'll have to do your homework, looks like you might be able to use one of the mail box places with the address of the store as your address. Do a search with this
Quote:
can I register a vehicle without an address
Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by UkRoadie View Post
Hello!

I'm 3 weeks from unemployment and I'm giving some serious thought to spending at least a couple of months travelling the US in some kind of converted bus or van.

I've got some concerns about whether I'll be able to legally buy and drive a converted bus, as I'll be able to drive in the states with a International Driving Permit but I won't be able to get a CDL (as it seems that I would need a permanent residential address).

If I were able to get a already converted skoolie that has been re-classified as a RV, do you still need to have a CDL? Or does that requirement no longer apply?

I've got my fingers crossed and I'm already looking at eBay, Craigslist and other sites for buses and van and LGV to convert. Can you tell I'm looking forward to it?
One option would be to start down the process of hiring an RV in the US and see if they will accept an IDL. Presumably if you were allowed to drive a hired RV you would be able to drive one you had bought (i.e. a Skoolie now registered as an RV. Do you have a C1 (7.5 tonnes) or HGV license in UK? I suspect that if you showed a UK license that allowed you to drive the weight together with an IDL an American cop would just wave you on!