Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #1

Year: 1972
Engine: 350 SBC
Hello from Tx

Unofficially bought a 72 Chevy C60 school bus. I believe it is the 54 passenger version as it’s not the long one. Went today to see if the 350 motor would come to life...and luckily it did for a brief sec or two. Hopefully next weekend it will make a painfully slow trek home since the brakes are suppose to be still on vacation so to speak. Wheels cylinders are to suppose to leak so I will bring lots of brake fluid along with me. Excited to get this project started

Paul

OldSchool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its even a SUPERIOR!! my favorite bus.. a Classic indeed.. if that bus has any of its metal-backed original Superior seats in it, dont throw them away, there are people that might liek to have some of them..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #3

Seats have been removed already. It’s being used as a deer camp bus now but I’m going to start over so I know what I have. Plan is to move in for roughly a year or so maybe a little longer so that I can hopefully get started on a garage/house. Then have the bus for get-a-ways later and enjoy it as an RV. That’s the PLAN anyways lol
Old 01-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
Bus Geek

superiors well taken care of are solid busses... low headroom and to me would be a real pain to raise the roof on but others can say more if you plan to go that route.. they were galvanized completely during construction and were fairly resistant to rust.. most likely you'll need to take out all the windows and re-seal them.. that was their weak spot was the window seals are terrible and love to leak.. you are lucky if you dont have at least a few.

I have a 1978 that im restoring..

-Christopher
Old 01-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #5

So far the only known leak is at the rear door. But a walk around today I noticed several of the windows were missing rivets especially on the bottom of the top half. The floor has a weak spot at the door but it apparently is only the wood that seems damaged. Once I get it moved to the house and I can get under it better I will see what’s the full story with that. It has a roof air unit now that works that I may leave for now and then I’m looking at an idea for a tad bit of headroom for the shower. As it currently sits with boots on my head just barely touches the floor. I am planning on insulating the floor as well as the ceiling and walls. I hope to save all the windows if at all possible. Can’t wait for next weekend to bring it home.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
"deer camp bus"

LOL

All I can picture of a bunch of Bambi taking the bus out to the swimming lake at summer camp.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #7

Lol well it is currently sitting in a hunting club campsite mostly for deer and it is a bus... so the short version of all that is deer camp bus lmao
Old 01-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool72 View Post
So far the only known leak is at the rear door. But a walk around today I noticed several of the windows were missing rivets especially on the bottom of the top half. The floor has a weak spot at the door but it apparently is only the wood that seems damaged. Once I get it moved to the house and I can get under it better I will see what’s the full story with that. It has a roof air unit now that works that I may leave for now and then I’m looking at an idea for a tad bit of headroom for the shower. As it currently sits with boots on my head just barely touches the floor. I am planning on insulating the floor as well as the ceiling and walls. I hope to save all the windows if at all possible. Can’t wait for next weekend to bring it home.

mine doesnt have plywood.. I havent torn up the original speckjled floor (an d wont since it cant be replaced).. but judging from everyplace on the bus i dont have any bad spots except for one in the chassis floor.. (international's floor asnd not superior).. small spot where it looks like the windshield probably leaked..
Old 01-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #9

One hurdle at a titme

Took about 3 hours to convince Mother Nature to let loose of the bus and to finally wiggle it out of where it was. The bus was sitting on blocks and as soon as the ground felt the weight of the bus it started to sink in... talk about fun fun stuff... anyways after lifting it back up to put blocks under the tires and then over working a 30 horse John Deere tractor the bus cooperated and moved again. Plan is to go back this weekend with a new approach. Hope to replace all the plugs.. wires... cap and rotor with a fresh oil change. Also new cable ends for the batter cables and hopefully the bus will come alive enough to drive it home. The mechanical fuel pump works so all I need is for the carb to be decent enough to just get me home... only need to make it about 50 miles to get it home....
Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #10

Bus Lives ands moves under own power

Well after chasing down a couple electrical gremlins.... the ole girl fired up and ran for a few minutes. Even managed to convince her to move closer to power so I can start working on it some at night when I get home from work. Also got some demo done on the inside as well.

Couple things I will have eventually have to chase down.... the power assist cylinder ( guessing that is what it is called ) leaks and leaks pretty bad. That will need to be either repaired or replaced. The power steering pump sounded a bit noisy but it may also be the alternator that had a little howl ( bearings may be gone in ALT ).

Also will need to possibly rebuild the carb and fix a few vacuum leaks lol. Eventually I plan on going with a 4bbl intake to get a few extra horses out of the motor. Just want to get it running decent for now if I need to move it around some at the house.

One step at a time.. each step is one step further in the process 👍
Old 02-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Very cool that you got her actually running. Do you have any pics? I'd be interested to see what this looks like inside.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #12

Inside pics

I will have to brush up on posting here. Been a while since I’ve been on a posting forum. I have a lot of pics and will gladly share once I figure out how to post here again 👍
Old 02-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
We'll be anxiously awaiting your pictures.

[Hint: There is a little paper-clip icon whichh is used for attaching pictures.]
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #14

Pic test

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187035...posted-public/

Let’s see if this works
Old 02-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
You have a lot of pictures in that link, than you.

Looks like it has the bones... just needs a lot of TLC and/or updating.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote