Old 04-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I can't think of a safer way to take small children out camping or even just on trips. I mean, it never rains up there does it? Bus living is my way of traveling even when there's rain, because it never rains here either.
I think you just overwhelmed yourself with you floor plans and stuff. It's a lot to consider doing all at once. It doesn't happen all at once, believe me.
When my kids were small I replaced a floor in a bus and kept just enough seats to keep things legal with the whole family in there. It was a big van that coolers and bikes could all fit into, basically just for day trips. A bus is fantastic to take to a fair because you can go rest and eat like you never could in your hot car. Your kids are comfortable enough to take naps. I tried a lot of vehicles with my kids and buses were by far the most superior for comfort and safety. You can buy pickup trucks that get worse mileage than a bus, and you can still tow a camp trailer with a bus.
Pours rain here, but it's for travelling the continent, so 'here' doesn't matter much. As for comfort, when I was 10 and my siblings were 7 and 4, we travelled around North America for a year and a half - 65,000 miles - in a Chev Suburban towing a trailer. I assure you, we were quite comfortable.

The reality is that we have near-zero time available right now, and we don't want to get stuck in the 'half-a-bus' mode and not be able to use it. Truck and trailer is incremental:
  1. Buy shitty truck [DONE today]
  2. Buy shitty camper
  3. Buy nicer trailer that I'd take across the continent
  4. Buy nicer truck that I'd take across the continent

It's incremental - we can use the '97 F-150 I just bought two hours ago to go camping locally RIGHT NOW, instead of in six months - or a year, or two, or never as happens far too often.

Also, our kids are 1.75 and 4, so basically that means we have about 1.05 people available right now to do the conversion work. In five years, they will be 6 and 9, and we will have FOUR people available to do the conversion work. Plus we can continue camping in the (yet-to-buy) trailer while we build it.
floatingLomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Oh, you're making a tramper? The ubiquitous trailer/camper. I understand you.

Just a personal preference but for now, or even in the winter (because we share much of the same weather), I'd much prefer camping in an empty bus more than camping from a pickup with or without a trailer. Buses are awkward for parking in most public areas, but for actual camping even an empty bus is a cabin in the woods. When necessary I use this as a van or truck. It's just handy and I've never felt better when camping than waking up in a real bed.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote