Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #1

Hello from WeHo

Hi,
I’m New to skoolies. Here in West Hollywood, California. In the investigation phase. Leaning toward a short bus so far.

ccwrtrla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome! I am a shorty fan myself. But I would suggest reading as many of the build threads here as you can before locking into a specific unit. Much easier/cheaper to learn from other peoples "uh-oh's" and changes of mind.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Welcome! I am a shorty fan myself. But I would suggest reading as many of the build threads here as you can before locking into a specific unit. Much easier/cheaper to learn from other peoples "uh-oh's" and changes of mind.

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Are you aware of the good and bad drivetrains in the various brands of short buses yet?

It's true that many of us have limited parking options in the city with larger buses. It all depends on your expected use of the bus.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Are you aware of the good and bad drivetrains in the various brands of short buses yet?

It's true that many of us have limited parking options in the city with larger buses. It all depends on your expected use of the bus.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been reading a lot of posts and trying not to get overwhelmed.
Now I’m ready to research drive trains.
I’m hoping my bus will be my cabin retreat on wheels. It’s just me and maybe one guest, but mostly me getting away on my own.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Thanks. This forum has a lot of documented experience to refer to. It’s been a great help as I plot and plan my escape.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Have you been physically looking at any for sale buses?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Have you been physically looking at any for sale buses?

Yes. I looked at two off Craigslist in my area, but honestly, don’t know what to look for. My old mechanic said he would inspect with me, but I want to know more about what I’m looking for.
I’m look at the auction sites, too.

I saw a couple CNG shuttles that I liked, but that would limit my travel to the continental US.
I’m debating whether that’s a bad thing.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
Bus Geek

It's good that you're actually looking. We're good at helping people find out what would work best for them, or we'll even help you find what you're looking for too.

There are people restoring shuttle type buses. It's a little bit different kind of ball game, but they're still buses.

The CNG buses look good and sell seemingly cheep. Consider where you might fill up your bus with CNG. What kind of range does that give you? How easy is it to get CNG on the road? That seems problematic for some of us.

Consider looking for new tires, if possible. Big engine with a good transmission. The popular engine choices currently stand with either DT466, Cummings 8.3 or Cat 3126/3116.
These larger engines usually have the better transmissions on them. We try to avoid a bus with an Allison 545, but a number of us have them anyway. They're common and still relatively economical for repair replacement. Most choose to upgrade to a better transmission when the opportunity arises.

It still all depends on what you're going to use the bus for. How you wan to use it. Is it a metal tent camper type or are you thinking of making it into a tiny home on wheels?
Since you're looking at transit buses it looks like you want a full size or near full size bus? I don't know what you know already. Are you looking for a diesel that you're going to drive cross country or a smaller vehicle that can park easily.

Of course the most important question is do you have a solid place to park the bus while you perform surgery on the interior? That hamstrings a lot of people.

It will all work out. You can get plenty of extra opinions here.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwrtrla View Post
Yes. I looked at two off Craigslist in my area, but honestly, don’t know what to look for. My old mechanic said he would inspect with me, but I want to know more about what I’m looking for.
I’m look at the auction sites, too.

I saw a couple CNG shuttles that I liked, but that would limit my travel to the continental US.
I’m debating whether that’s a bad thing.

I think CNG engines only have a modified carb...if cheap enough I bet your mechanic could change the fuel system...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
I think CNG engines only have a modified carb...if cheap enough I bet your mechanic could change the fuel system...

That was true of the old gas to propane conversions. Modern CNG setups can be CNG only or dual fuel. The CNG only buses that I looked at were based on diesel engines but had none of the diesel fuel injection pieces. I don't think conversion would be practical.

As far as CNG availability, I live in Eastern Washington and could not find CNG available anywhere within 100 miles. I think that trying to travel the US on CNG could be quite challenging.

Good luck with your quest.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
That was true of the old gas to propane conversions. Modern CNG setups can be CNG only or dual fuel. The CNG only buses that I looked at were based on diesel engines but had none of the diesel fuel injection pieces. I don't think conversion would be practical.

As far as CNG availability, I live in Eastern Washington and could not find CNG available anywhere within 100 miles. I think that trying to travel the US on CNG could be quite challenging.

Good luck with your quest.
Yep...the infrastructure just isn't there...and if the engine doesn't have the fuel rail or the turbo, etc...you be right

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote