Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 13
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel
Rated Cap: 78
Hello, got a bus and excited to get started

I wanted to introduce myself. I've been visiting the board for a little while and now that we're about to get working on our bus, I figured I would start participating some more. My name is Melissa and my partner's name is Jae. We're doing this bus conversion in Oregon. Hopefully she'll register on here soon too. We had originally been looking at building a tiny house, but when we came across an auction with a great bus, we knew that was the direction we were supposed to take. Doing searches online, I kept coming across skoolie.net as the main resource.

We got a 38 foot 1999 Blue Bird TC2000 bus in a surplus auction for $2135.00. We got it insured through AIS insurance commercial underwritten through progressive and got a trip permit. We just got it down to a friend's house today where we can start working on it either later this week or next. I plan on making videos for youtube and unlike some other videos I've seen, I'd like to start before we get excited and start ripping out seats.

We loaded up the bus with a bunch of stuff from our storage unit to move south from Portland to Eugene. It turns out our friend has a whole bunch of useful power tools, so that's a huge plus that I hadn't been expecting. I haven't completely unloaded the bus yet, so I'm going to wait until then to do our first video.

I took some measurements of the bus and so I'll start drawing up some floor plans. At this point, I just have a rough idea of how I'd like the final layout to look. A couple things that I'm excited about with this bus is all the windows are already tinted, so that will save a bunch of work and there's some huge storage compartments under the bus on both sides. I imagine we could keep stuff like batteries for solar and a propane tank. Maybe put water tanks in there. If there's a better place for tanks, we'll probably just use them for storage. So that's where we are so far.
melissagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissagirl View Post
I wanted to introduce myself. I've been visiting the board for a little while and now that we're about to get working on our bus, I figured I would start participating some more. My name is Melissa and my partner's name is Jae. We're doing this bus conversion in Oregon. Hopefully she'll register on here soon too. We had originally been looking at building a tiny house, but when we came across an auction with a great bus, we knew that was the direction we were supposed to take. Doing searches online, I kept coming across skoolie.net as the main resource.

We got a 38 foot 1999 Blue Bird TC2000 bus in a surplus auction for $2135.00. We got it insured through AIS insurance commercial underwritten through progressive and got a trip permit. We just got it down to a friend's house today where we can start working on it either later this week or next. I plan on making videos for youtube and unlike some other videos I've seen, I'd like to start before we get excited and start ripping out seats.

We loaded up the bus with a bunch of stuff from our storage unit to move south from Portland to Eugene. It turns out our friend has a whole bunch of useful power tools, so that's a huge plus that I hadn't been expecting. I haven't completely unloaded the bus yet, so I'm going to wait until then to do our first video.

I took some measurements of the bus and so I'll start drawing up some floor plans. At this point, I just have a rough idea of how I'd like the final layout to look. A couple things that I'm excited about with this bus is all the windows are already tinted, so that will save a bunch of work and there's some huge storage compartments under the bus on both sides. I imagine we could keep stuff like batteries for solar and a propane tank. Maybe put water tanks in there. If there's a better place for tanks, we'll probably just use them for storage. So that's where we are so far.
Congrats on the purchase!! Lets see some pics!!
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 13
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel
Rated Cap: 78
Thanks. I can't seem to upload images. The files size and image sizes are within the limits, but it just keeps failing. Maybe I have to be here longer or something?
melissagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Columbia River Gorge
Posts: 14
Congrats on the bus! Any idea what your gonna do for a heat source?
Petrifried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 13
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrifried View Post
Congrats on the bus! Any idea what your gonna do for a heat source?
Hmmm, I hadn't decided. Maybe propane or electric depending on the systems we install first.
melissagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 13
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel
Rated Cap: 78
Let's see if this works for the pics that I do have. These were taken up at the storage unit before we loaded it.



melissagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 13
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel
Rated Cap: 78
Let's see if this works for the pics that I do have. This is up at the storage unit before we loaded a bunch of stuff in it.



melissagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:37 AM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 1,546
It looks as if you got yourself a really nice bus. Lucky you, you even got the 12" windows!

Since it has luggage compartments I would tend to think you more than likely have a 5.9L that is set at 210-235 HP and more than likely the MT643 transmission. Not a lot of HP but the better transmission and rear gearing to get close to highway speed.

Good luck on your conversion and don't be shy about asking questions.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:08 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 13
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
It looks as if you got yourself a really nice bus. Lucky you, you even got the 12" windows!

Since it has luggage compartments I would tend to think you more than likely have a 5.9L that is set at 210-235 HP and more than likely the MT643 transmission. Not a lot of HP but the better transmission and rear gearing to get close to highway speed.

Good luck on your conversion and don't be shy about asking questions.
I hadn't realized the windows were a larger size. Thanks for letting me know.

Yeah, it has a Cummins 5.9TA engine with an Allison AT545 transmission. It easily got up to 70MPH and could do more. That was with the load on it. Jae was the one driving it, so I'm going by what she said.

Thank you. I'm sure I'll be doing lots of asking.
melissagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,412
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Very nice bus!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.