Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #1

Talking Hello, Just introducing myself :)

My name is Cindy and I have watched tons of youtube videos on this awesome lifestyle. I am a Navy Vet. that decided to go back to school and finish my degree (still not done). However, my youngest is moving out this fall and I figured I better start looking for a smaller place. Excited, I was on youtube looking at tiny homes and came across vans, trucks, and bus conversions. Each have their pros and cons, but I guess I relate the bus to children and to me, it just seemed like the safest vehicle to start a new journey traveling the U.S. So to make a long story short, I want something similar to a 2014 Thomas C2 30 passenger bus. However, I know that what I want, may not be what I need. I hope to learn from you, the experts.

Eventually, I will be able to extend that help as well with others too.

Studio626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Howdy and welcome Cindy! Thanks for your service too!!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio626 View Post
My name is Cindy and I have watched tons of youtube videos on this awesome lifestyle. I am a Navy Vet. that decided to go back to school and finish my degree (still not done). However, my youngest is moving out this fall and I figured I better start looking for a smaller place. Excited, I was on youtube looking at tiny homes and came across vans, trucks, and bus conversions. Each have their pros and cons, but I guess I relate the bus to children and to me, it just seemed like the safest vehicle to start a new journey traveling the U.S. So to make a long story short, I want something similar to a 2014 Thomas C2 30 passenger bus. However, I know that what I want, may not be what I need. I hope to learn from you, the experts.

Eventually, I will be able to extend that help as well with others too.

Thanks for your service Cindy!!!!!

As for "experts....":facepalm :

You are now considered one!!!!

Welcome to the crazy, unexpected surprises, running sideways world of skoolies.....

Heck even the older posters here (i.e. me earlier today) can be surprised at how little we know....

Just keep an eye on those who skill sets you can learn from and be prepared to take LOTS of notes.....

It's a fun eclectic world we live in here.....

M
Old 07-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
We normally shy away from anything newer than an 04. EPA regulations started then and caused major issues that are hard to diagnose and expensive to repair. There are lots of good buses available pre 04 that would suit your needs. Doesn't surprise me to see a 2000 model sell for $4k and a 12 year newer model will sell for $2500, that should tell you something when normally buses run 15-20 years before they unload them. Dumping it at 6 years old isn't because it's a great bus.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
X2 on what marc said.
The best info I can offer is to take your time and not jump on the first bus you see. There are plenty out there and finding the right one might happen quickly, or may take time. Pre inspection of both the mechanical and body are critical in not getting ripped off.

If you need to move from where you are now and plan on moving directly into a bus, the best thing for you would be to find one already converted as scratch building always takes longer than planned.

Welcome to the site, and from one Navy vet to another, Thank you for your service!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote