Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Goshen, GMC
Chassis: C5500
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Rated Cap: More than 1
Hello, Moto Cross hauler build on my first bus.

Hello everyone. Hi have just purchased (about a month ago) my first bus. We got a 2000 GMC Savana with a Thomas built package. Gas motor. 15 passenger. 141xxx miles. This is the beginning of my Moto Cross hauler build. I have 2 boys that ride dirt bikes every day possible. My goal is a self contained rig that accommodates the bikes, (3 currently) all tools, pressure washer, and all gear needed for a day or two of riding. My current set up is far too small for sleeping quarters. I will upgrade to a larger bus as soon as financialy feasible.
I have done some small modifications so far adding e-track for tie down points, a 55 gallon drum for washing, cb, led internals both white and color changing.
I have lots of goals, but will keep this to a minimum. I thank you all for letting me lurk around and steal all your valuable info. I look forward to trying to add useful information to this wonderful community.
Thanks for all the past and future help.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

B.Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome

Let me guess, you're married to Wilma?

Cool idea with the bikes and all. Either you got a really good deal on that minibus or you aren't aware of the cheap buses for sale out there. Mini buses are more in demand because people are often afraid to drive a larger bus.

Many of us get the handicap buses specifically for use with our bikes. Works best with a rear mounted lift. Garage in the back.

It will be interesting to see what you eventually grown into with your bus choices. Let's call this first one a practice bus.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome

Let me guess, you're married to Wilma?

Cool idea with the bikes and all. Either you got a really good deal on that minibus or you aren't aware of the cheap buses for sale out there. Mini buses are more in demand because people are often afraid to drive a larger bus.

Many of us get the handicap buses specifically for use with our bikes. Works best with a rear mounted lift. Garage in the back.

It will be interesting to see what you eventually grown into with your bus choices. Let's call this first one a practice bus.
Actually it is Betty.
I got a phenomenal price, I could not say no. This bus is absolutely intended to be a "practice bus" as you have stated. Living in New York, the bus being titled as a Savana Van, allows me a very cheap insurance rate. I am still searching for the correct candidate. I am all ears when it comes to Insurance in N.Y. any advice would be BEYOND appreciated.
I also agree that the handicap lift would be a preferred option. I am a lazy man at the end of the day.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

That's right. Fred and Wilma live next door.

We're all lazy, and it doesn't have to be the end of the day.

It's interesting to see a small bus turned into almost all garage. I think you could still manage some sleeping arrangements if the bikes were outside under the awning.

We're always looking for new versions of builds.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

They are pretty good neighbors, a little annoying at times, and he always seems to get me in trouble.
I figured the possibility of a "upper level sleeping deck" basically a platform above the bikes that folds or stores in some way.
Currently I am chasing what I believe is the Great Gazoo who is just screwing with me. I will start by simply asking does my bus have a low fuel warning that would cause my safety door buzzer to go off? This buzzer is located above driver seat. It does not allow the bus to start when either of the 2 safety windows or rear door is open. I can provide a situational explanation of the circumstances later today.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Bus Geek

We're well aware of how the bus interlock system works. This site sees one or two interlock issues a week on average preventing someone from starting their bus.

As far as I'm aware a low fuel warning shouldn't affect the interlock system. Check you top hatches to make sure they're latched properly. Most of the time when people have problems with the interlock it's because the top hatch has been opened. How does the top hatch get unlocked, you ask? Usually that happens when unwelcomed visitors want to check out your bus. A person can enter through the top hatch, but they can't re-latch the hatch properly on their exit.

Then there are the other possibilities. If someone was sitting in the driver's seat playing with the bus and shifted it into what they believe is "Park," it won't start.

Other issues with the interlock involve people clipping wires randomly which are more difficult to fix.

Interlock fun. Videos on youtube showing the basics about how to disable the system without engine starting issues.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
We're well aware of how the bus interlock system works. This site sees one or two interlock issues a week on average preventing someone from starting their bus.

As far as I'm aware a low fuel warning shouldn't affect the interlock system. Check you top hatches to make sure they're latched properly. Most of the time when people have problems with the interlock it's because the top hatch has been opened. How does the top hatch get unlocked, you ask? Usually that happens when unwelcomed visitors want to check out your bus. A person can enter through the top hatch, but they can't re-latch the hatch properly on their exit.

Then there are the other possibilities. If someone was sitting in the driver's seat playing with the bus and shifted it into what they believe is "Park," it won't start.

Other issues with the interlock involve people clipping wires randomly which are more difficult to fix.

Interlock fun. Videos on youtube showing the basics about how to disable the system without engine starting issues.
Stirring up a old thread. Solution was a loose ground wire at rear door....but now she is gone. Sold her, prepping for a big bus search now....thinking flat nose rear engine. I'll cut the lift in for the bikes if I can't find it already there.