Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Hello New Here

Hello everyone. You can call me Messenger.

A little about me:

I'm college student who's been in community college a little too long, but I love learning. I'm disability benefits. There's pros and cons to this. I love making things and I have a dream to live a simple life with my simple income.

About my dream:

It was a few years ago that I came across Tiny Homes on the inter-webs. I don't remember exactly what brought me to it, but I was fascinated. Ever since I've want to build one. So I showered for plans. And found two I like. Started planning my floor plan. Yeah...

There's two big drawbacks:
1. My income is low, I'm talking less than $1000 a month.
2. Since I'm on SSI, I can't have more than $2000 in savings. I find this ridiculous, because even if I make my own money I still can't have more than $2000 in savings.

So my stich:

A new trailer costs about $4000. I'm not sure about used ones, because of the potential need to modify and or repair them before one can start building. Though I'd love to make a Tiny Home this way.

The Alternative:

This is why I'm here.
In my search/research about Tiny Homes, I came across school bus conversions as well as using other vehicles to make Tiny Homes. The bus conversions cought my I, because the cost of the used school bus can be around that $2000 mark and in running order. Also, one has the shell of the home already buil.

So here I am still in the planing...dream stage. I hope I can find the help I need to get started planing.

Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
I can't have more than $2000 in savings.
If you have the ability to put more away, just keep it in a jar. Savings don't pay enough to make any difference anyway.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
welcome, and that's what jars are for.
gbstewart
Old 02-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

The problem isn't that I'm not able to save more then $2000, it's the fact that if I do I could lose my SSI. This is one thing I don't like about SSI. You just can't get any where with it. Any ways, on my income, the more expensive things I will have to save up for.

I figure the first I do need to find a place to put the bus, after I get one, to convert it. before getting too far into the planing. Also to get rid of a lot of stuff. I wonder what I can get out of some of my large appliances. This will be a fun adventure.
Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote