Old 09-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
Bus Nut

You might think of building or getting a camper van and then building up the tiny home on a trailer frame. The likelihood is that a tiny home would be against code in the location where you want to place it on. BUT if is technically a trailer you can recreate on your land as long as you want just as long as you aren't living in it. The camper/van could even be used as a tow vehicle to get your tiny home where you want it to go.

Personally, I want to build an ultra modern tiny home that can go anywhere and is worthy of a dwell magazine spread. I figure that there is nothing more modern than a steel and glass house that can go anywhere and change its views with nothing more than some diesel and time.
From what I have gathered a converted bus will NEVER ACTUALLY SELL for more than about 1/3rd of what you put into it and is probably more valuable as parts or scrap.

Much like a lightsaber a skoolie is built by someone for themselves. RV's are built by a nameless corporation for a nameless person. That said if you want to try to leverage this transition buy the best used RV you can find that needs work fix it up and update it then try to flip that when it is time.

I should also point out that I have been researching Tiny homes for about 3 years now and have just recently decided that I want to merge my goals of tiny home living and wanting to live a nomad life, hence skoolie. Good luck and learn from others mistakes, listen to others advice but in the end you make your own choice.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
RV's are built by a nameless corporation for a nameless person. That said if you want to try to leverage this transition buy the best used RV you can find that needs work fix it up and update it then try to flip that when it is time.
That's the sad part, isn't it? A person can fix and flip a production RV relatively easily. But just getting somebody to look at a bus conversion, nevermind to pay a price close to what went into its construction, is a major accomplishment.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:59 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
If you do a nice enough job and maintain your aesthetics throughout and document and make clear your choices, etc. you can probably get out what you put in. Assuming your time is worth nothing. Ive done more than a nice job on my bus, but I don't think I could get more than the $22000 Ive put into it. And it was featured on HGTV!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:36 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Assuming your time is worth nothing.
Thats what most people tell me!
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:22 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
It seems that if your lucky you can get back what you originally paid for it (if you didn't overpay).

Everything else as mentioned, your time & what you've installed become freebies.

THAT SUCKS!!!!!

Fortunately, I feel the time I get to enjoy it more than pays for all the blood, sweat & tears.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction, newbie