Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Hello to all.

Hello all!
I am Mike. I have a dream. That dream is to convert a school bus to a weekend/vacation camper. I have been binge reading lots of the threads here and made the decision to continue anyway 😂.
I told my wife and she was up for it (I didn't show her this forum lol).
I won't be full timing in it now, and I know my wife... So probably never. 😂
My plan (very similar to many I bet): find an inexpensive platform in good mechanical condition. Add minimal insulation to the walls and ceiling and strip floor to bare rusty metal (seems like a lot are). Subfloor of 1/2 inch foamboard and plywood. Lay out a floor plan (on paper and with tape).
Park it in the driveway ( no ordinance against it if it is registered and mobile)
As for the interior, I have a habitat for humanity Restore less than a mile away to scavenge fixtures/cabinets. Stick framing of a queen bed and 2 smaller bunks. A toilet a shower and a kitchen area. After it is usable, I will pick a project and do one thing at a time as money and schedule allow. I have a modest budget, but by no means enough to go all out right away
I don't have a schedule other than I want to purchase the bus by spring and start it this summer.
I am pretty handy, but know my limits. I will likely borrow every good idea I like and give all credit to whom ever I borrow it from. I will probably ask dumb noob questions 😀.
I am liking the rear engined busses. I don't think I want or need a 40ft bus... But I will not rule one out.
Thank you to all who have posted here, the builds are awesome. The knowledge base concentrated here is wonderful.
Sorry for the rambling post. Lol

Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Hello Mike and welcome aboard
I'm sorry your cruising of the forum hasn't talked you out of your plan! lol

When I read your post, a light bulb went off
Pick up a bus, gut it, go to Habitat Restore, load up a bunch of cabinets, plumbing, electrical, furniture, and travel the country peddling to other skoolies that don't have easy access for Habitat Restore!
Thereby, funding your build!
Old 01-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Hello Mike and welcome aboard
I'm sorry your cruising of the forum hasn't talked you out of your plan! lol

When I read your post, a light bulb went off
Pick up a bus, gut it, go to Habitat Restore, load up a bunch of cabinets, plumbing, electrical, furniture, and travel the country peddling to other skoolies that don't have easy access for Habitat Restore!
Thereby, funding your build!
That would work great if I didn't already have a job a house kids... But now you have me thinking maybe we need to get a skoolie swap meet going

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Hello all!
I am Mike. I have a dream. That dream is to convert a school bus to a weekend/vacation camper. I have been binge reading lots of the threads here and made the decision to continue anyway 😂.
I told my wife and she was up for it (I didn't show her this forum lol).
I won't be full timing in it now, and I know my wife... So probably never. 😂
My plan (very similar to many I bet): find an inexpensive platform in good mechanical condition. Add minimal insulation to the walls and ceiling and strip floor to bare rusty metal (seems like a lot are). Subfloor of 1/2 inch foamboard and plywood. Lay out a floor plan (on paper and with tape).
Park it in the driveway ( no ordinance against it if it is registered and mobile)
As for the interior, I have a habitat for humanity Restore less than a mile away to scavenge fixtures/cabinets. Stick framing of a queen bed and 2 smaller bunks. A toilet a shower and a kitchen area. After it is usable, I will pick a project and do one thing at a time as money and schedule allow. I have a modest budget, but by no means enough to go all out right away
I don't have a schedule other than I want to purchase the bus by spring and start it this summer.
It sounds like we are about to embark on a similar journey, though we will be living out of our bus while converting it - should be a Most Excellent time!

I am working on outlining a wiki for all of the various tasks that one performs on a bus. I think it would be a huge benefit to the Skoolie community. Let me know if you would like to take a look.

Welcome to the craziness that is bus life!
Old 01-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

I will look, read, and absorb anything... But you need go no further than this forum for all things skoolie... The search bar is limitless!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Welcome! Many of us have the dream
Prflyer is offline   Reply With Quote