Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 12:16 AM   #1

Hello! Ambitious and creative punk builds a home

Hey all, I'm Thomas a 17 year old currently, I'm from the SF bay area and spend most of my free time volunteering at 924 Gilman St in Berkeley. It's a punk club that I'm proud to call my home. I'm buying my bus between this month and the next and I'm planning on doing a full conversion to house me, and 1-3 other people.

Getting into the meat of it, the plan is for the bus to be a fairly comfortable living space, we'd like to have a cooking area, some sort of shower (more than likely a solar bag shower), possibly a garden on the roof? I'm still thinking on that, plenty of storage, and more to come. Once things start happening I'll be posting pictures and updates, feel free to talk to me and offer criticisms! I've been homeless off and on for a long time and it's not how I like to live, fortunately luck's been smiling on me and I have enough saved up to make this happen.

punkinabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Nice...
For urban bus dwelling, I'd go low key on the exterior stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Nice...
For urban bus dwelling, I'd go low key on the exterior stuff.
Before you start spending $$$ you need to determine where your bus can live. The more stuff you have hanging on it the more likely others may object to your project.

Because you live in the Bay Area finding someplace to park your bus might be a challenge unless you can find someone who has space enough to park it where the neighbors and the city won't object.

Urban camping can be done but it has to be done under the radar. The more stuff that is hung on the sides and "sprouting" up on the roof the harder it will be to stay under the radar.

The choice of color to repaint your bus will also tend to either help you or hinder your ability to stay under the radar.

Good luck and your search for a bus that will work for you and one that you will be able to afford to keep.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah parking for a "punk bus" is probably as easy to find as it is for a "hippie bus".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote