Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Cool Helloo from tampa

Hello everyone so glad i found this site. Ill be purchasing a bus by June to start converting immediately. My lease for my apt is up in November which i dont plan on renewing on hopes that ill have most of this completed or at least livable by then. Also plan on taking a 15k loan to fund this project. Does everyone think this is enough time and money to complete if i devote most of my time and energy into it? Also whats everyone experience with towing a vehicle?

FROM WHAT I GATHERED I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR A BUS W/

ENGINE - CUMMINS 8.3 OR DT466
TRANS - MD3060 OR MT643

OLDSKOOKLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hello Oldskooklie
You're in the right place because people here love to help you make a decision on the right bus with the right engine, transmission and rear end. Lots of free advice coming shortly.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Where are you going to park the bus? It's hard to find places in a city like Tampa where it's mostly snooty RV parks where parking spots are expensive and mostly off limits to skoolies.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

my apt complex has a gated lot down the road from me that ive seen people keep boat so hoping theyll let me keep the bus there. if not ill have to find a storage facility where i can park and work on it
Old 04-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Welcome, we're in Sarasota, Florida. If you need anything don't be afraid to contact. In the middle of our build and have gone through a lot of the same process you're about to!
Old 04-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Hey there, another Floridian!
I'm in Eustis/Sorrento.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #7

Another Floridian too...Eustis/Umatilla. Welcome!
CHATHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Umatilla?? or Eustis>
I'm on Center St behind Autozone and Big Orange Tire!

Do I already know you???
Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #9

I don't think so, new to forum but yeah I know exactly where you are. I'm in Dona Vista. We just bought our bus this weekend.
CHATHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
welcome to the dance, lots of info here.
gbstewart
Old 04-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATHAM View Post
I don't think so, new to forum but yeah I know exactly where you are. I'm in Dona Vista. We just bought our bus this weekend.
Where'd you get your bus?
Post some pics!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #12

Dang! I need to get a bus! I'm in Windermere, and looking for a partially converted bus (since I have know knowledge of electric or plumbing). We should start having meet-ups to talk bus stuff.
SeeCayArr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSKOOKLIE View Post
my apt complex has a gated lot down the road from me that ive seen people keep boat so hoping theyll let me keep the bus there. if not ill have to find a storage facility where i can park and work on it
I would make sure on this, you dont want to buy your skoolie to only find out you have nowhere to park it. I'd also get in writing that you are allowed to work on the conversion on the apartments property. While the wink-wink is great from the maint. persons, the owner of the complex can come and have your skoolie removed from the complex. if you have permission in writing or find a cheap spot that will allow you to park and work on your skoolie, those would be the best options.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeCayArr View Post
Dang! I need to get a bus! I'm in Windermere, and looking for a partially converted bus (since I have know knowledge of electric or plumbing). We should start having meet-ups to talk bus stuff.
Myself and various other forum members have metup a few time out at the property where my bus is stored.
Any time you wanna hang out... PM me for my number or email.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
I would make sure on this, you dont want to buy your skoolie to only find out you have nowhere to park it. I'd also get in writing that you are allowed to work on the conversion on the apartments property. While the wink-wink is great from the maint. persons, the owner of the complex can come and have your skoolie removed from the complex. if you have permission in writing or find a cheap spot that will allow you to park and work on your skoolie, those would be the best options.
Just talked to them yesterday, asked them specifically for a school bus. They said i can keep anything there as long as its not stolen. There are boats and car trailers in the lot also so i should be alright but ill definitely be getting it all in writing. DOES $100 A MONTH SOUND REASONABLE I HAVENT QUOTED ANY STORAGE FACILITIES YET.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Just talked to them yesterday, asked them specifically for a school bus. They said i can keep anything there as long as its not stolen. There are boats and car trailers in the lot also so i should be alright but ill definitely be getting it all in writing. DOES $100 A MONTH SOUND REASONABLE I HAVENT QUOTED ANY STORAGE FACILITIES YET.
I wish i could have stored our skoolie down the street in a community gated parking for $100/mo! that, in my area is a great price!
Hopefully, won't need the storage any longer, after we get our title today! YES!
BTW, another floridian, here! P.Pines/Ft. Lauderdale!

I can say from personal experience that if you can work constantly on the bus, you can probably get it done for "livable condition". after all, i probably put a total of a full month (if that!) worth of work, and i'm pretty close at being done...this all in a 2yr span, though!
As you'll see in other threads, and as others have pointed out, some (if not most) of these conversions take years.
Buckle your chin-strap, shoulders down, dive in!

Welcome to the madness!
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
I wish i could have stored our skoolie down the street in a community gated parking for $100/mo! that, in my area is a great price!
Hopefully, won't need the storage any longer, after we get our title today! YES!
BTW, another floridian, here! P.Pines/Ft. Lauderdale!

I can say from personal experience that if you can work constantly on the bus, you can probably get it done for "livable condition". after all, i probably put a total of a full month (if that!) worth of work, and i'm pretty close at being done...this all in a 2yr span, though!
As you'll see in other threads, and as others have pointed out, some (if not most) of these conversions take years.
Buckle your chin-strap, shoulders down, dive in!

Welcome to the madness!
I think $100 / month is a fair price... I got lucky and found a guy with a business building food trucks that bought a HUGE old factory and is renting spaces at $125 / month for Indoor storage here in Ohio.. so good deals do exist.. but anyplace you can store that is gated is good, esp since its tougher to secure a school bus.. and keeps the run-around kids from playing in your bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Thats what i am paying in chicago, and that was the cheapest i could find.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote