Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Hey

Hello,
I'm new to this but the past seven or eight months my wife and I have been kicking around the idea of a bus conversion. We have travelled out to the west several times on motorcycles but find our interests changing. We like hiking and photography and would like to have a custom RV that suits our needs, giving us a home base to really get back and explore. Since we love our bikes we were thinking of buying a bus that has a lift in the back to create a garage. Once the bus has been parked we can get around pretty easily then. We are in NY and would really like to spend a lot of time out west. This seems like the place to be and with some luck and determination I'll take the plunge and make this happen.

Kwoodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome! --- You came to the right place. Just read as many "Build Threads" as possible and make notes of what sounds like will best fit your dream. And once you have a plan, take the time to find the best rig you can afford that fits it. A few extra bucks up front will pay back in spades in the long run.

Best of luck and let us know how the hunt goes.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there are definitely threrads here too whre people have built garages foer their bikes, 4 wheelers etc... im not sure where you plan to go west but I know some of the driveways and turn-offs for roads/trails can be steep so keep that in mind when lookin at how much over-hang a bus has behind the rear wheels..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote