Old 01-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I say forget the WVO esp if you are going to go anywhere cold at all.. you'll have a disasterous mess!! run the good stuff esp in that 6.2, they are great engines but take care of them and they will take care of you!..

I like these minibirds.. always dug the shape of them.. body looks to be in nice shape on it too!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
earlier this winter I accidentally got bacon grease on one of my outdoor extension cords! (bbq accident)

After cleaning it several times, I still haven't gotten the crap off!

I've tried several degreasers, and I can still feel it on the cord... I can't imagine dealing with a whole barrel of the stuff!

maybe this summer, I'll hit it with 190 degree water and soap from my EccoTemp water heater.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
earlier this winter I accidentally got bacon grease on one of my outdoor extension cords! (bbq accident)

After cleaning it several times, I still haven't gotten the crap off!

I've tried several degreasers, and I can still feel it on the cord... I can't imagine dealing with a whole barrel of the stuff!

maybe this summer, I'll hit it with 190 degree water and soap from my EccoTemp water heater.
Just rub some dirt on it !!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #14

hmm duly noted! thanks guys, disappointed to hear that about wvo but will definitely take it into consideration.
Crystalineminddesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:18 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

I don't want to rain on your parade but I would say forget about trying to run on WVO.

The main reason most people want to run on WVO is so they can get "free" fuel from all of the fast food restaurants around the country. 20-years ago that was possible. 10-years ago is was becoming increasingly difficult. Now it is virtually impossible to find sources of enough WVO to keep a bus going.

It is one thing to walk into a Burger King or McDonalds with a bucket and ask for 5-gallons of WVO to keep you VW Rabbit hopping another 500 miles. It is a completely different proposition to walk in with a barrel and ask for 55-gallons of WVO to keep your bus moving another 500 miles.

The other part of the problem is fewer and fewer places purchase their fryer oil or grease. Most just lease it and pay for shrinkage. The owner of the fryer oil or grease many times recycles it themselves to run their equipment that is out delivering fresh fry oil/grease and picking up the used.

Once you have your bus stripped out of everything bus related you are not going to use it would be a very good idea to take your bus somewhere to get weighed.

The GM/Workhorse P-30 chassis has been used by body upfitters in all sorts of vocational and recreational applications since the '70's. It was a great chassis for what it was/is. What it isn't is a stout heavy duty truck chassis. What it is more than anything else is a 1-ton light duty truck chassis. They are famous for wearing out and breaking springs, spring hangers, shocks, shock mounts, and stabilizer mounts. Most had a GVWR not much more than 16,000 lbs. On a bus with an empty weight in excess of 12,000 lbs it doesn't give you a lot to work with in regards to build in stuff and filling it with your junk and plunder.

If you have been able to live for an extended period of time in a Subaru then moving into this bus will be like moving from a studio to a 3-bedroom apartment.

Lay out the floor plan you think will work with painter's tape and fashion some walls out of cardboard. Once you have it all mocked up you then need to take it out for a weekend or two. After a couple of days you will discover how well your design on paper translated onto the floor of the bus.

Good luck and happy trails to you.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Hi. Congrats on the shorty!! The 6.2 is a good reliable slug. No power, fair mileage, and reliable as they get! They seem to have a hard time in very cold winters though. I would assume you have a 4L80e trans. (Based on year). Climb under and look at the design and bolt pattern of the transmission pan. Then google GM trans pan patterns. This will tell you for sure.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote