Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #1

Hey all new here

Hey Guys,

Brand new to this bus thing. Ive purchased what ive been told is an 1974 international shortbus. But I cannot find any information on it at all. Its been semi built into a motorhome style bus but has plenty of character. Needs a bit of rust removed brakes repaired and a service and she should live again. Anyone know what this is?

Cheers,
Tyrone
Attached Thumbnails
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1541293379055.jpg_1541293382365.jpeg   USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1541293388670.jpg_1541293390458.jpeg  

Tyrone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Body looks like Ward or Carpenter to me. Certain things about the nose say early-mid-60s, and some of it looks like Dodge, some of it looks like Ford, some of it looks like Studebaker... A close-up shot of the engine and another shot with the hood down might help. Not sure it was built in the US, either. Any idea where it came from geographically, or any of its history? *smh* No VIN / body / chassis number?
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:04 AM   #3

Hey Cheese,

Thanks for replying mate. No numbers that I was able to find, all the usual spots had no plates or stamps was only able to find a LPG compliance plate but was too worn to read. I have this last photo with bonnet down until it gets dropped off later in the week. Not a lot of it makes sense. Parts of the rear and roof felt like fibreglass it would appear someone loved it at some point. The fella I bought it off was using it as a spare room and didn't know anything about it either.

Cheers,
Tyrone
Attached Thumbnails
bus1.jpg  
Old 11-05-2018, 05:46 AM   #4
Traveling

A little research reveals this is an Aussie International D-series. I can see small differences such as turn signals below the headlights, however, the only pic I could find so far was of a 1974 1/2-ton D110. I'm sure yours is a heavier chassis than the D110 and may have some small differences. The signals below the headlights may not even be original, as yours appears to be customized. The headlight trim, body lines, front bumper and fascia are a dead ringer though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery Bus - D110 Aussie 2.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	27080

Here's a link to a larger pic of the '74 D110...

Australian 1974 International D110

Something about this D110 makes me think of the Clint Eastwood film "Every Which Way But Loose". Can't imagine why... LOL
Old 11-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
makes sense it would be aussie since it looks like Right hand drive.. (I can see a jacknife loading door on the left side..

super cool classic!!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #6

Found the previous owner. With a video.

I think you are spot on with the D1110. It looks like the body of a D1110 was cut off at the firewall with some body thrown on. Hoping the bloke who owns the video is original restorer and will be willing to send over some information.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
Traveling

I had run across some info about X-Stream when I Googled some random searches with the info I had to work with, but didn't realize that they, in fact, had perhaps owned this bus. Glad you found what you found... Interesting piece, to say the least. I'd be curious to hear what the former owner had to say in a follow-up.

I want to be clear, though. I don't think this was necessarily a cobbled-together Frankenstein. I think, as with most light/medium-duty trucks, the D-series had 110 / 220 / 330, etc., versions... 1-ton, 2-ton, 3-ton, and so forth, as with American Fords built as F-150/250/350/450/550, GM and Rams (spun off of Dodge as a single division) built as 1500/2500/3500/4500/5500 versions.

It looks to me like a factory school bus built on a 2-or-3-ton D-series frame with some minor customization to the nose. Most buses in those days were simply incomplete chassis (frame, suspension, steering, powertrain, driveline, nose clip, but no cab) sent to a coachwork company such as Blue Bird, Carpenter, Thomas, or Ward, who then installed their own cowl and purpose-built bus body, delivering them as a completed vehicle. They really were nothing more than a logging truck frame with a bus body back then. This practice is still done today for factory-built RVs, even some school buses.

Here is a pic of a '74 D-series rated over 3 ton...

Click image for larger version

Name:	74 D-series 3-ton.png
Views:	4
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	34341