Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

Hey from Montréal!

Hello! I have been dreaming of doing a skoolie for a couple years now and I finally have a 3 year plan to get 'er done. Right now I am totally in the conceptualization/planning stage.

I do want to raise the roof. I know, I know... but I am 6'4, and don't relish the idea of living in a space where my head is only barely shy of the ceiling. But I have a friend who is a ticketed and highly experienced welder and metal worker (she cut her teeth in Fort McMurray) who has agreed to help me out with this. I will also be seriously looking into a veg oil conversion.

I am a professional freelance writer, and I can take my work with me wherever I go. All I need is my laptop, my phone, and internet connection. So I figure this seems like a great project... build a skoolie, live in it permanently for at least a few years, write, and road trip around.

I will want to drive around Canada a lot, and visit friends up in the Yukon, in Alberta, and get a few acres of land near Gatineau where I can winter. So this conversion is going to have to take into consideration being able to live comfortably in it during the winters.

I will likely pester you all with all sorts of questions. I will pester you ALMOST as much as I voraciously read what has already been discussed, taking in all the information being shared here.

I am very excited. I am really looking forward to several years of freedom.

Thanks for making this forum! I am very happy to be here!

Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: e350
Welcome! There is no going back now
HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
As we are want to say here - welcome to the insanity!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:58 AM   #4

Hahah I dont want to either!!
Old 06-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Hello! I have been dreaming of doing a skoolie for a couple years now and I finally have a 3 year plan to get 'er done. Right now I am totally in the conceptualization/planning stage.

I do want to raise the roof. I know, I know... but I am 6'4, and don't relish the idea of living in a space where my head is only barely shy of the ceiling. But I have a friend who is a ticketed and highly experienced welder and metal worker (she cut her teeth in Fort McMurray) who has agreed to help me out with this. I will also be seriously looking into a veg oil conversion.

I am a professional freelance writer, and I can take my work with me wherever I go. All I need is my laptop, my phone, and internet connection. So I figure this seems like a great project... build a skoolie, live in it permanently for at least a few years, write, and road trip around.

I will want to drive around Canada a lot, and visit friends up in the Yukon, in Alberta, and get a few acres of land near Gatineau where I can winter. So this conversion is going to have to take into consideration being able to live comfortably in it during the winters.

I will likely pester you all with all sorts of questions. I will pester you ALMOST as much as I voraciously read what has already been discussed, taking in all the information being shared here.

I am very excited. I am really looking forward to several years of freedom.

Thanks for making this forum! I am very happy to be here!
Bienvenu. That's the perfect job for this. Closed cell Spray foam is the most R value per inch. Ca law is different so be careful when deciding what to do with your bus based on what people say HERE. You need to be able to pass inspection, get insurance, and all that THERE. Bonne chance!
Old 06-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #6

Thank you!!
Old 06-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
insulation will be your biggest comfort friend. sounds like a lot of mountain driving. select a good engine/tranny combo. you'll be reading plenty about that. welcome!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote