Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #11
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,945
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
While I absolutely LOVED my 73 Scout Terra pickup in high school, I couldn't imagine a bus with the LITTLE Scout engines being very fun to drive.
Remember the little four cylinder Nissan engines?

my dad bought 2 scout diesels in 1980.. little nissan 3.3 Litre engines and 4 speed sticks..

imagine a full size scout with 100 horsepower .. of coursae when I learned to drive in 1985 one of the scouts was what I drove.. and of course I insisted in always running the A/C.. I just remember ALWAYS feeling the compressor kick in and out and having to adjust my foot asccordingly..

but that scout got 27 MPG.. something that even the modern fancy SUV's cant do...

And.. he still has One of them at 375,000 miles...

one if the "subsitute" busses I rode to school on was a 1971 Thomas gasoiline sitting on a Loadstar with s stick shift..

that bus had a "3 speed" stick.. it had L-1-2-3 and of course R... that bus went at least 60... it didnt seems too much like it was dog slow.. the driver used to run it hard.. he said it had more power than the "route bus" which was a 1980 Carpenter on a ford chassis with automatic..

since the OP's bus is factory converted irt might have highway style power-train instead of in-town skoolie power train

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #12
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,171
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
IDK, like I said I love old internationals.
But a 304 with a 3 speed in a bus sounds dreadful.

You're right though- old binders lived forever. My Terra with the 345 was tough as nails and someones out there still wheeling in it in Sumter County FL last I heard.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,945
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I dont know... Ive got a DT360 and an AT545 .. the little ive driven it that bus took off pretty good... that AT545 eats up a ton more power than a stick shift does...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #14
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,171
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I dont know... Ive got a DT360 and an AT545 .. the little ive driven it that bus took off pretty good... that AT545 eats up a ton more power than a stick shift does...

-Christopher
at545 is nothing like a 643 man.
A bus with a proper auto will vastly out accelerate a manual bus.
come take mine for a spin when you come back to FL.

__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,945
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
at545 is nothing like a 643 man.
A bus with a proper auto will vastly out accelerate a manual bus.
come take mine for a spin when you come back to FL.


I 100% agree.. I was comparing my experience with the AT545 / DT360 combo to the OP's 304 / 3 speed manual...

a stick shift or a Locked and coupled Automatic(MT643).. will waste much less power than an unlocked automatic (AT545)..

my point was that my bus drives fine with a DT360 / AT545 so im guessing the OP's bus with a 304 / 3 speed manual will likely drive fine too..

yours and my bus are 2 different animals.. im DT360, you are DT466, im AT545 yours is MT643.. I dont doubt that even fully loaded you could smoke me...

for me drivetrains are easy.. if I need a different drivetrain I'll swap in a 2100 and turn up the DT360 and have a whole different bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #16
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,171
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I 100% agree.. I was comparing my experience with the AT545 / DT360 combo to the OP's 304 / 3 speed manual...

a stick shift or a Locked and coupled Automatic(MT643).. will waste much less power than an unlocked automatic (AT545)..

my point was that my bus drives fine with a DT360 / AT545 so im guessing the OP's bus with a 304 / 3 speed manual will likely drive fine too..

yours and my bus are 2 different animals.. im DT360, you are DT466, im AT545 yours is MT643.. I dont doubt that even fully loaded you could smoke me...

for me drivetrains are easy.. if I need a different drivetrain I'll swap in a 2100 and turn up the DT360 and have a whole different bus..

-Christopher
Sorry, I hadn't had my second cup of coffee and I sorta misunderstood what you were getting at Chris. My bad.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #17
Skoolie
 
juliol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Monrovia California
Posts: 120
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Hi guys, while we are talking scouts, just got me a 1962 unmolested all original, I will get it running not sure if a complete restoration, but want to tow it with my bus. but enough of this, I'm dying to see pics of this bus.
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.