Old 01-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
Almost There
@rafoster, I'm also glad to come across this site since I didn't know the term "skoolie" was, but I have seen buses turned into RVs before, only rarely though. It is great to have this wealth of useful knowledge and members who are helpful

For a 92 International, it has a lot of rust. I see what EastCoastCB meant about how many buses on the east coast are covered in rust or are scrapheaps.
Veganvegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #12
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Yeah lots of buses over here get real rusty. One reason I go a bit north to Kentucky for mine. Both mine are from the same district. I didn't even plan that!
Good Old Todd County, Ky. Bless em! Minimal rust, almost none. Fasteners come off with relative ease.
There are plenty of good buses out here, for sure. But you west coasters have it much better.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #13
keeping busy

I think I am going to pass on the International... turns out it's a dealer, and they don't know much about the bus. They bought it as military surplus and don't even have papers on the tranny rebuild. I am sure it got regular maintenance, but I am equally sure it got regular abuse as well and could have come from anywhere. My cousin who has the CDL license knows about some MCI buses for sale down around Fayetteville, NC.. I think we are going to drive down and check those out in the next couple of weeks.

Meanwhile... I am spending alot of time studying transforming furniture like this stuff: and this

Again, I am not about to drop buckets of money on anything like this premade, but I am really excited about at least trying to borrow some of this fantastic engineering to create RV friendly versions.

As I've mentioned before, I love to build stuff...attaching a picture of my next project, this was started by another gentleman in the area but he ran out of steam and gave it to me for free. My plan is to remove the plastic skin which didn't work too well and reskin it with aluminum flashing.. should make it look pretty realistic... I'll add historically accurate nose art and markings as well. I've also got a jazzy mobility wheel chair I got for free last year, so the gearmotors from that will go under each wing, and the control box and joystick will be mounted in the cockpit.. with a caster under the tail I think the kids will have fun driving this p-51 around

While I am at it, here is a link to the little electric "argo" I built for my kids some years back...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p51.jpg (113.0 KB, 1 views)
rafoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
Anyone around Denver?

Anyone in Denver or close by who could take a look at this shuttle? This isn't exactly what I am looking for but I do like that it's 4wd.. I could go more the route of an expedition vehicle with this

Ford E-350 Bus
Fresh ideas are like fresh ingredients - better not wait too long to make something with them....
rafoster is offline   Reply With Quote