Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Hi from Central FL/ What bus to buy?

Hey guys, I've been on this forum for a while now, but rarely post... Just in the gathering info stage now.

Looking to buy a bus to convert, or buy someone's project that they don't have the time/funds to complete.

Not sure of what I need, I would LIKE to get a larger bus with the cummins 8.3, because one thing I'd like to do with this bus is tow my boat (About 5k fully loaded). One issue I'm seeing is most 8.3 buses are pushers, and pushers apparently have issues with mounting a hitch.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Also, I don't see many 8.3's in FL... where's the best place to find one? AZ?

Also, the tranny to get is a MD3060? correct? I'd like to do at 70, and not spin TOO many rpms...

Thanks guys!

Skink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Bluebird did offer the 8.3 Cummins in the front engine All Americans FYI. Not very common but you can find them if you look hard enough.

Be warned, the exporters seem to go crazy for those particular variants, saw a batch in Utah last year go for $7K average selling price (they all had over 200K miles and bald tires, a couple had reported oil leaks).
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am a long time Cummins fan and was fortunate to find a Blubird RE with 8.3 & MD3060. However, if I had not found this combo I would have been quite content with a DT466 & MD3060.

Don't discount the DT466. It is great motor. May not have quite the torque of the Cummins 8.3 but certainly up to the task.

I plan on hauling a fair size trailer behind mine and have looked over the frame configuration on my 2002 and don't see it being a problem. I cannot speak to other years but I know that the A3RE ran unchanged for several years.

Best of luck on your quest!!

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #4

Thanks guys!

I agree, the DT466 is a good engine, and easy to work on... I just like cummins... personal preference I guess.

I've always HEARD that the RE cannot be equipped to tow, because of the cradle. I guess i need to actually crawl under one and have a look.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 AM   #5

2001 Bluebird TC2000

This one could be interesting...
Old 06-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 33220 GVwR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I am a long time Cummins fan and was fortunate to find a Blubird RE with 8.3 & MD3060. However, if I had not found this combo I would have been quite content with a DT466 & MD3060.

Don't discount the DT466. It is great motor. May not have quite the torque of the Cummins 8.3 but certainly up to the task.

I plan on hauling a fair size trailer behind mine and have looked over the frame configuration on my 2002 and don't see it being a problem. I cannot speak to other years but I know that the A3RE ran unchanged for several years.

Best of luck on your quest!!

S.
[emoji3] I am picking up my 2001 Bluebird A3RE next week. Did you have any problems putting a tow hitch on your rig? Also my rig is a 2001 with a 3126 Cat attached to a MD3060 push button gear selector.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Don't Fret God's Not Through With Me Yet!
IWC Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC Bus View Post
[emoji3] I am picking up my 2001 Bluebird A3RE next week. Did you have any problems putting a tow hitch on your rig? Also my rig is a 2001 with a 3126 Cat attached to a MD3060 push button gear selector.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Sounds like we have very similar rigs.

I have not installed my hitch yet. I am still in the research & design stage. If you look at https://www.centralstatesbus.com/200...fs/a3frame.pdf you will see how the cradle is attached. I am feeling pretty comfortable with the strength of the rear frame for my application. I intend to haul a small car (2000 lb) and have an enclosed area for my tools. Trailer gross will likely be in the 4k lb range. Max tongue weight should be under 600lbs.

If there are any engineers out there who have any comments please speak up.

Edit: Note that the rear tow hooks are attached to the "cradle".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 33220 GVwR
Thanks, I was heading over to Welding shop and see what they can fabricate at a fair price. The plans from Blue Bird will help.

Don't Fret God's Not Through With Me Yet!
IWC Bus is offline   Reply With Quote