Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #21
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
What if all seats are removed and 4 couches, each seating four persons, are put in?

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:35 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

4 couches that seat 4 people equals 16 seating positions--two more than are allowed if you don't want to have a CDL.

If you only put three seat belts in each couch you would then have seating positions for 12-passengers. If you wanted to squeeze a few more in than you have seat belts It would be up to you. Just be aware that if the worst should happen, if you had more than 14-passengers you would be in a really deep end. Among other things your insurance company would most probably deny coverage because you were not using your RV as you told them you would be using it.

And trust me when I tell you this. If you should go to a ball game the weight cops don't have to have someone there. All it takes is for someone observing and counting how many people got off and then a quick phone call to a number that is on speed dial for you to have a weight cop waiting for you when you got back to your bus.

With fines starting at around $10K you really do not want to go there.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #23
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Thanks

You make some great points. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but preemptive. Some times the Devil is in the details.

I do have a Class A CDL, was Intrastate with medical card, but went non-commercial CDL. The Feds set mandates that ALL States must follow, but gives each State the option to impose more stringent laws than the Federal mandates impose. That's the problem- Laws vary from State-to-State, and sometimes even within the State. What is legal in down-State Illinois does not fly in Chicago. Same problems the concealed carry group has. It seems grey laws are profitable.

I won't be insuring, or more importantly, plating my vehicles as Commercial. I also won't have a clown-bus that 20 people are piling-out of! It is a shame that you can purchase a vehicle designed to haul 84 people, but are limited to a dozen or so, but after riding Chicken Buses in South America, I can see the need for some type of regulations. If you ask 5 different LEO's, you will get 6 answers.

All this is moot to me now as I need to get my fuel issues squared away !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

So, what do you all think of this bus? I've not looked at it in person.

1991 chevy short bus, good tires, new brakes, new batterys, 8.2 diesel motor, 94,000 miles all seats have been removed would be great for tiny home or camper has clear title comes with a new oil change and filters $2700

lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd pass on that one @ half that price.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd pass on that one @ half that price.
What's your reasoning? I want to know what you're thinking to learn to better judge these buses. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurk View Post
What's your reasoning? I want to know what you're thinking to learn to better judge these buses. Thanks!
Low headroom, looks pretty crusty (mine does too), the 8.2 isn't the greatest. Its sort of a forgotten step child. The chassis isn't the greatest, it will ride like a farm truck, more or less. The tranny is almost certainly the 545 which is *ok*, but not preferred. Overall its just not very much bus, imo, especially for that kind of money.
Depends on what you wanna use it for, I guess. But I just scored a SWEET shorty out in Colorado for $1780 out the door. Tires are a year old, and they're topping off and checking ALL fluids and stuff for me.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Perfect, thanks for the info. PASS it is! How's that working for you with your purchase? Do you plan to fly and drive it? Pay someone to drive it or ? Was it an auction site?
Old 02-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurk View Post
Perfect, thanks for the info. PASS it is! How's that working for you with your purchase? Do you plan to fly and drive it? Pay someone to drive it or ? Was it an auction site?
Bought at an online auction sight unseen like the last one.
A friend/neighbor is flying out tomorrow to drive it back. Once I talked to the bus maintenance guy I realized what an awesome deal I got. He was like- "you driving this to florida?"... "We'll make sure you're good to go, we'll check all the fluids, the batteries, the tire pressure, etc">..

Auctions from well funded school districts are where its at!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, I'd say. Congrats!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466e
Hey Lurk, I'm in your neck of the woods working on my own full size bus! Most of the buses at the Buncombe surplus lot have some sort of issue ie. rust or a body type we didn't want. We ended up driving to NE Kentucky to pick ours up. we got pretty close with some local craigslist entries but the best advice is to take your time and really shop around.
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes14 View Post
Hey Lurk, I'm in your neck of the woods working on my own full size bus! Most of the buses at the Buncombe surplus lot have some sort of issue ie. rust or a body type we didn't want. We ended up driving to NE Kentucky to pick ours up. we got pretty close with some local craigslist entries but the best advice is to take your time and really shop around.
My big 92' is from KY. Good buses, mines a lil crusty, but was a bargain.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Buy this bus and I'll make you a steak while you're passing through.
This bus would save someone a ton of money and labor on some aspects of "conversion" and has a badass drivetrain with low miles.
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...36&acctid=7167

Old 02-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

We got an 01 Int. with a DT 466e, mt643 (I think), air brakes/air ride, heated mirrors, good tires and very little rust. It took us about a year to snag but I am happy we waited and put the time in.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes14 View Post
Hey Lurk, I'm in your neck of the woods...
You sure are! Good to hear re: the local buses... I'll have to keep that in mind. What kind did you end up getting? And (if you don't mind) from where in KY?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Conventional dog nose International, Blue Bird. It was from Sandy Hook KY
Old 02-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Well... fingers crossed... found one to go look at Friday. IF the person ahead of me doesn't get it. I wonder.... another fellow skoolie? Talked to person and this sounds mint and is a really great size for what we'd use/need one for. Only bummer is it's a gas engine though. Other than that I can't think of downsides...

1997 GMC Bluebird 92k miles, current and road-safe, used at Daycare until sold (TBD).

Old 02-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

If it has a gas engine, in a bus that size it most likely has a 5.7L small block. It will do the work required running around town and get respectable fuel mileage doing that--around 4-5 MPG. Out on the highway, depending on how it is geared, 55 MPH will be about the top you can expect out of it. Even if you regeared for highway top speeds you wouldn't have the HP and torque to go any faster.

The one real downside on short full size buses like this one is they don't roll down the road. They jounce and bounce from one bump to the next. You will swear that the bus is off the ground half the time the way it hammers you as you go down the road.

That can be helped a little by taking some springs out which reduces how much weight you can haul. Or you can take some springs out and replace with helper air springs. Or you can put in an air ride suspension if it has air brakes.

For the right price it looks to be a pretty good little old bus. $2K would be the absolute top end on price for me if I really wanted the bus. $1k or $1.5K would seem to be reasonable depending on the condition of the tires.

Good luck.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

So good to know that info re: highway speeds and gearing and ride!! Whatever bus we buy will practically live on the highway.

ETA: So go big or go "non-big" with shorties? Like van-front short buses?

Also adding: VIN: 1GDG7T1P8VJ504090
Old 02-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Go for a short bus on a full size chassis, but not a gasser. Get a turbo diesel, high headroom, and highway capable gearing.
My first attempt at owning a bus was a Ford gasser with a Thomas body. It was a total dog. Horrible mileage and no power.
Getting the RIGHT bus is more crucial than getting one NOW.