Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #1

Hi, I have a Doosan GL11K engine

I bought this new CNG engine at auction. I have no idea what to do with it. Not sure if there is anyone out there that knows anything about these or can point me in the right direction to sell this monster. It is brand new and still on original shipping crate.

Here is the specs:
GL11K Euro 5 : Doosan Infracore Engine

cfkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:30 AM   #2
Bus Geek

might help if you say where you are?

And why bid on something $$$$ that you don't know what to do with?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfkeller View Post
I bought this new CNG engine at auction. I have no idea what to do with it. Not sure if there is anyone out there that knows anything about these or can point me in the right direction to sell this monster. It is brand new and still on original shipping crate.

Here is the specs:
GL11K Euro 5 : Doosan Infracore Engine
Lol.

You and I have to go out drinking sometime. I love a good deal, especially if it's heavy and greasy.

Your motor goes in a OBI Orion VII CNG (07.501) buses from 2004. Canadian Public Transit uses only 2 buses w/ that motor.

Engine is CARB exempt. Drop it in a nice calif bus. Good Luck !!!!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #4

bansil,
I am in San Diego, CA. I bid on all types of things at auction if the price is right and then do some "reverse research" on the item. Sometimes I'm handed a nice profit, other times I break even on scrap value. I live by the adage: "Have trailer, will haul".

Rusty,
I'm always up for a glass of some good rye whiskey. Maybe I can talk you into taking this 4000 lb GE eddy-flow dynamometer off my hands. Thanks for the info on the Canadian buses that use this engine. I'm not a builder though and looking to get this in the hands of and end user.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I can relate to your buying practices. I did the same thing for a number of years when I lived close to the Public Surplus auction. I bought a new forklift engine for $30 at one time. That type of buying made ends meet while raising a family.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #6

I usually just go to the auctions looking for a vehicle to flip for some extra $ but I usually end up bringing home something that I know very little about and try to find the market. The thrill of the chase.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Exactly. I eventually found a better success rate with the reselling of things I did know. I learned a lot along the way. Selling inexpensive vehicles proved to be the most consistent income provider for me. I'd get a small truck, do a oil system flush, coolant flush and all new hoses, filters and belts. Drive it up the nearest pass to try to force it to overheat. I never had to walk home from the pass. The vehicles usually sold within several days. Eventually I figured out I could do the same thing with heavy equipment and make better profits, but it's more seasonal and a slower turnover.
I live to far away from the auction now and I don't have a place to work on things, so it's just the bus now. Well, there might still be a few pieces of equipment around.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #8

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG951092.jpg   IMG951088.jpg   IMG951090.jpg   IMG951094.jpg   IMG951093.jpg  

IMG951091.jpg  
Old 12-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfkeller View Post
I usually just go to the auctions looking for a vehicle to flip for some extra $ but I usually end up bringing home something that I know very little about and try to find the market. The thrill of the chase.
It's more of an addiction. It's fun to become an expert in a zillion fields- microbiology equip? rigging equip? bank processing? SMD?

The problem I have is the residuals. You get 6 pallets of goodies, but 1 is worthwhile.

Rye Whisky is my favorite, but I'm giving my liver a sabbatical.

What did you pay for the bus motor? $500? worth 20x.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #10

I am amazed at what you can find at the auctions out here and the prices of the heavy machinery are amazing. I'm slowly working my way up to that level of buying because of the higher margins. Keeping my feet wet with these fleet vehicles that are "over-maintained" out here. Usually all they need is a good wash and engine cleaning.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #11

Ha ha, my liver is back off the wagon for the holidays and I'm sure I will have some crazy new year's resolution to retire it back to the wagon for a while. You are in the right ballpark on the guess of my price on the engine. Not sure of the aftermarket value but new your guess is on the mark.

Tags
cng