Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

HI!!! Newbie looking for advice on size

1) thanks bunches for this ENTIRE site!! As research is my superpower I'm learning SO MUCH!! Ok folks I need some experienced skoolie voices here. I have a size question. So I am looking for a bus that we can live in/travel in (with cats) for a few weeks at a time while going to and from shows. mostly along the east coast (PA to FL) but poss one trip a year to the west coast. The goal is to keep the home base in PA for the first few years and NOT be here in the winters lol. I need permanent sleeping room for two in addition to a daybed for company for a few nights here and there. most importantly (after the cats lol) is enough storage for my show stuff. About 300lbs or 5 suitcases for jewelry, display stuff and supplies. Sounds like a 40' right? However, we will need to be doing some driving in cities to get to the conventions and boondocking in parking garages (or open parking lots) for 3-4 days at a time. The rest of the time I'd be fine at campgrounds and or rest stops. I've been finding (through research NOT experience lol) that 40' are 1) not the best fit for a city 2) might be too big for many campgrounds 3) less MPG for traveling than a short bus. Can I get some input (knowing my priorities) on 40 ft vs 30ft or would I be better off getting a short bus and towing the mini van behind us. I'm terrified of towing, just an fyi

richellekohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome.

Regarding 40' buses in the city, there are plenty of 40' school and transit buses on the road in cities every day.

While there were some minor challenges, I successfully navigated Seattle, Los Angeles, Boston and New York in my 40' bus.

I am leaving Denver off of the "successful" list after having to back up a full city block at 5:15pm on a Friday...... I was 13' tall and encountered a low overpass..... People were SO supportive. They honked and told me "you're number one" using universal sign language...

If the bus was 25' long I would have had the same trouble. It was the height that created the issue.

IMHO: A 40" bus is generally not much more difficult to drive than a 25'-30' bus. Parking is a different story. I could fit the shortie in a normal parking space. My 40 ' bus fit nicely in about 6-8 parking spaces
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #3

thanks for the insight! I'm a bit worried about parking as I figure its either walmart/campgrounds which require a car/uber OR paying $20-$30 per spot for parking at a lot close by. two spots I can handle 6-8
I was told the transit buses have tighter wheel turning radius for city driving but are not quick enough on the highway. Schools buses harder to drive in cities but better on long hauls.

I'm freaked over 40" since I was told a lot of campgrounds don't have spots for rigs that big but man o man the SPACE!!!

richellekohler is offline   Reply With Quote