Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hi there, fellow and prospective Skoolies!

Greetings.

2 friends and I are on the verge of buying a 38 foot 1999 International with a DT466 and Allison 2500-series auto transmission, and a wheelchair lift. (I'm in a power wheelchair.)

Still don't know its GVWR - Waiting on seller to get it on his lot - but as long as its at or under 26,000 pounds, I can legally drive it.

Our plans are to convert it to a full-time residence for the 3 of us, primarily boondocking.

I have many questions, and will try to organize them and post them shortly.

SweetBearCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Does it have air brakes, is titled as a bus? If the answer to either of those is 'yes' you will need a CDL or at least supplementary endorsements to drive it. Even if under 26,000lbs since it has a higher passenger capacity, you'll need a CDL.

Id bet my nose its over 26000gvwr
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My bus with air brakes is registered for private, personal use and has been verified to be legal for me to drive with no CDL or endorsements of any kind.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Does it have air brakes, is titled as a bus? If the answer to either of those is 'yes' you will need a CDL or at least supplementary endorsements to drive it. Even if under 26,000lbs since it has a higher passenger capacity, you'll need a CDL.

Hydraulic brakes. As much as I would prefer air brakes for the extra safety margin, my license class - California Class C - doesn't allow for that. In theory, I could self-certify for a non-commercial class A and get the endorsement, but that's a can of worms, and I'd have to have an air brake equipped vehicle to drive for the road test to get the full license anyhow.. which I do not have. So I'd be left with a learner's permit, which says that someone else with a class A license must be with me when I'm driving, legally.

As far as I know it is still titled as a bus, but the 3 of us are planning to rip the seats out and get it to the minimum spec to have CA recertify it as a motorhome as soon as possible, possibly within a couple weeks after buying it.

As far as being over 26,000 pounds GVWR... I hope not. I hear that states do ticket for driving over your weight class, and I bet they're not cheap. Who knows, they might even want to tow the bus away.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Welcome! --- My old 40" BB was only 19,000 empty after adding 19" of roof raise and associated metal but I'm sure the lift must add close to a thousand. Either way, I would think stripped out it should still leave some room before tipping 26K. Be interested to hear what a weight ticket might say on that rascal.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I bet empty it weighs in a well under 20,000. But its the weight rating that classifies the vehicle, not it's actual weight.

If it is a motorhome-titled, most states (all that I know of) will let you operate it, even if it's over 26,001 GVWR. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
Bus Geek

When I registered mine, they put the actual weight down.
They apparently do that if you're not trying to register it as a commercial vehicle.
My bus without interior panels or seats weighs 17.9k.
This kind of stuff is going vary from state to state.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
If it is a motorhome-titled, most states (all that I know of) will let you operate it, even if it's over 26,001 GVWR. Good luck!
Not according to the California DMV.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 01-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Yes, they put mine down, too, but I'm saying the GVWR is a number on the vin placard and that cannot ever be changed unless you get a new vin number! I swear to the big man upstairs. The GVWR is the GVWR and they ain't no way to change it. I asked a bunch when I was retitling mine and the answers I got from the DOT, state patrol, and clerk and recorder's offices were the same--You cannot change the GVWR, even if you retitle it.

The curb weight IS used by many municipalities to calculate certain taxes which are based on weight and that weight IS listed on my registration, but the GVWR is still 27,800

Just saying! If I'm wrong, let me know, but it is important to know these distinctions.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I wonder if I drove to california in my bus with CO plates and a CO driver's license, which law takes precedent. California ruins all the fun. Assholes
Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

It might be state dependant but in Wyoming the gvwr does NOT dictate the cdl requirement. It's the registered weight. I had a 33k gvwr truck that was registered at 25,999 and a cdl was not required. It only weighed 25,500 and it had truck plates. Once I got more tools on it I had to up the weight and go to commercial plates, then it became a cdl vehicle
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #12
Bus Nut

That's odd, cuz I just looked that up, and they say it's based on the GVWR

http://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/liv...0for%20Web.pdf
Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:

Check with YOUR state's DMV/MVD before believing this bit of tripe. You do NOT necessarily need a CDL to drive a skoolie. I need NO CDL or supplementary endorsements to operate my Thomas. I also do NOT need a USDOT number emblazoned on the side.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Looks like my posts are now cuts of beef. We are rivals now, CaptSquid.

I challenge you to a skoolie duel
Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

I've over 500K miles as a Class VIII driver. Do you? Did you have to sign a document stating that you will no longer possess a CDL when you couldn't pass a DOT physical? My Thomas has a GVWR of 36200 and is titled as a bus, but I STILL don't need a CDL or endorsement to operate it, nor was I asked to produce these documents when I purchased it and registered it.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
I wonder if I drove to california in my bus with CO plates and a CO driver's license, which law takes precedent. California ruins all the fun. Assholes
The regs for your state of registration should apply.
My gross weight was changed when I got my bus titled in FL. I don't mind if you swear to any man upstairs. FL issued me a new FL title as it was previously titled by the Kentucky school board.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

From the Wyoming DOT:

Class “C” Vehicle: with “Z” Endorsement: authorizes the holder of a class C license to operate a vehicle or combination of vehicles which have a gross vehicle weight rating of thirty-nine thousand one (39,001) pounds or more.
Who can apply for the “Z” endorsement? If you are a farmers/ranchers, firefighters or a driver that wish to operate recreational vehicle or combination vehicles and are exempt for the CDL requirements. You must be at least 18 years of age.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Not looking to start a pissing match about who has more experience. I had a CDL for 10 years and ran a bus company for that long as well. We are both qualified to answer, unfortunately there are many different answers.

The weight listed on my title isnt the gvwr. It is the weight of my bus from when I had it retitled to motorhome and it is not labeled GVWR. It is labeled CWT i think. Ill look it up at home.

AFAIK, the GVWR is a rating from the mfgr based on the vehicles specs and equipment and is unchangeable by definition.

I apologize for bad info. Though everything I said is true in CO. Next time, lll stay out of it unless they're in my state
Old 01-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Charles, you should go back and re-read Wyoming's requirements. The VERY FIRST WORD is GENERALLY. There ARE exceptions, and an RV conversion counts as an exception.

THE final authority as to who is required to have a CDL rests with the state in which the driver is registered, NOT by another state. If Colorado requires you to wear purple parachute pants while driving, then that rule applies ONLY to Colorado registered drivers, not anyone else.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
You bring up a great point Charles. I've heard that some people register their RV's in the cheapest state for license plates and no inspections if possible. They just set up a PO box and claim residence in that state. After all, if we're going to be traveling all around the country in our buses what difference does it make what state we register it in?
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote