Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hi to all!!!

Hello everybody. My wife and I are RN's from NC. We hope to soon convert a school bus to our full time home and try our hand at travel nursing. Cheers to the forum. I hope to learn a lot from everyone.

Miles of Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles of Smiles View Post
Hello everybody. My wife and I are RN's from NC. We hope to soon convert a school bus to our full time home and try our hand at travel nursing. Cheers to the forum. I hope to learn a lot from everyone.
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of people with a myriad of experience just willing and able to help.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome Guys! As a pair of RN's...you should have no trouble finding gigs anywhere these days. Go for it!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome.

What an interesting idea. We're always glad to have medical professionals. We may need psychologists but any professionals will do.

You must be looking for a big bus with lots of storage?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Welcome. My dad did the traveling nurse thing for many years. He got to see every corner of the USA. Great plan and welcome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 71
My wife is a nurse and this is our plan. I'm an engineer so finding a travelling gig might be difficult for me but she is finding it extremely easy to find work all over the states and the pay is great.

Welcome to the forum!
Rengald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Wow!!! What a warm welcome from you all!!! Yes we are looking at something large. We wanted a 40ft bus but we heard there may be some restrictions related to overnight parking at National Parks/RV Parks. We are leaning towards a 35-38 footer if this proves to be true. Either way we are buying a school bus or a transit so we can get more in tune with nature and ourselves though minimalism. Trading our mortgage payment/electric bill in for a gas/parking bill should allow us to increase our monthly savings which theoretically means we could work less. Or work just as much as we do now and retire much sooner. As far as what exact bus will work best for us.....we want to go down the beaten path so a coach is out. We like Bluebird and Thomas a lot. Leaning towards a TC2000 currently. Our goal is to purchase the bus and get CDL licenses in the next year and start converting it to meet our needs. We want to be living on the bus full time and have our house sold by the end of 2020. IT SHALL BE DONE!!!
Miles of Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:18 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 71
I'll recommend taking a look at a few things in response to the CDL comment. If you convert your bus to an RV you won't need a CDL. In some states, it seems, the conversion is just a bit of paperwork and you can be driving your 'bus' right away as an rv. In others (I'm living in MN) you might need proof of completed conversion to retitle.

The whole reason the title of bus or rv is important is for two reasons I guess... If you need a CDL or not and bus insurance or rv insurance. Insurance is the big question... But you'll see that the more you read this forum...

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is do your research... Sounds like you are giving yourself plenty of time so that's great.

Personally my bus is still a bus and it's insured as a bus. Sure, it's a little more expensive than RV insurance but my conversion is far from complete. Buy yes. I need a CDL to drive it even though all the seats are out and all that stuff.

But I'm getting fixated! The best thing for it all is to read as much as you can... There's a wealth if info here... And read as much as you can about bus options. There are a little options out there... But I'm sure you know that by now ;0

My wife and I are viewing the bus as an investment... Yeah it might be 20 grand to get started... But if we live in it for a year and a half we've saved that much money in rent alone... It's a lot to think about...

No matter what I'll just say this... Google is your best friend. No matter the question/idea you have it's very very likely someone else has already posted about it in this forum ;0 it's great.
Rengald is offline   Reply With Quote