Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

It's really nice to see so many responses to my Intro, and some of you in my area. I had to giggle about a space in S.I. for "makers" - the trendy word nowadays for artists, artisans, craftspeople, etc. I don't know who started the trend a few years ago, but maker seems like such a bland word to use for people working on so many exciting and creative projects. But good to know there are places in and around the city to work on a conversion.

More about me: I've been looking into nomadding since last summer, basically by following various nomad blogs and asking questions at a nomad forum. I am in need of a big change in my life. Then some events occurred which required me to focus on other things for a while. I thought about just relocating to a different part of the country, but that idea always feels like settling, or some kind of defeat.

I started reading my nomad blogs again and the prospect of doing that does not feel like settling. I am now able to focus on this idea again. I want to live in a vehicle that can be made secure and comfortable for F/T living, and travel to cities, towns, and rural areas. I have several ideas for supporting myself financially while on the road.

I originally wanted to do this in a pickup truck with camper top, and then a van. I know a bus is not very stealthy for visiting urban places, but I would only want to be in a small one anyway. I think that even a small school van would give me more room than a regular van, and the height to be able to stand up inside. At least, that's what it looks like, but I could be wrong.

There are a lot of things I need to learn, and a lot of things I need to do in order to be ready - not the least of which is raising the money I'd need to get started. I will keep reading. Thanks, all.

Nomadiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You should also be physically looking at other buses when they're available locally. Not for the purpose of buying, but for the purpose of seeing and learning to help you decide what size bus you need.

It's much better to have to much room than not enough. An old timer told me years ago that the short and medium buses frequently get about the same mpg. I'm hearing reports of shorties getting under 10 mpg while my medium bus gets 11.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You should also be physically looking at other buses when they're available locally. Not for the purpose of buying, but for the purpose of seeing and learning to help you decide what size bus you need.
I'm really just in the beginning stage, so will do that when I'm ready. Living in Manhattan, though, I have many chances to check them out, from the outside at least. A school bus with 5 windows on the side just passed by as I wrote that, and it seemed plenty big to me.

My first concern, however, is getting enough $$ to do this. Once I have a plan in place or feel like it's truly possible, I will check out bus interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It's much better to have to much room than not enough. An old timer told me years ago that the short and medium buses frequently get about the same mpg. I'm hearing reports of shorties getting under 10 mpg while my medium bus gets 11.
A major part of my choice of vehicle to live in will be driveability and maneuverability. I'm not a confident driver due to my many years of living in a city where having a car is not only unnecessary, but rather a burden. I've never owned any kind of vehicle and, since living here, have rarely ever driven. I've rented cars but so seldomly that I intend to take driving lessons and defensive driving courses, as well as basic auto mechanics, to feel confident again before I embark on this life makeover. Last time I drove on a regular basis was back in the '80s! I want everyone on the road to be safe when I'm behind the wheel, and I don't want to be clueless about any problems that might occur.

All the reading I've been doing on nomadship has opened my eyes to lots of things that need to be considered. I don't need lots of space for living and doing the things I hope to do. Been living in a very small apartment for a long time, so the transition won't be hard due to having less space - maybe other things will make adjusting difficult, but not a small space.

Besides my driving skills, one thing I am scared of already is the potential for vermin and various undesireable creatures to get inside and/or cause damage. Another thing I'm very concerned about is security when I have to be away from whatever vehicle I wind up buying, because all my belongings will be in it.

Plus, it will be tricky to be stealthy in a populated area in a huge behemoth of a bus. I still haven't eliminated a van as a choice because that would be more stealthy. I think a small school bus can work, though. I like the fact that school buses have added safety features.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I get about driving a bus in NYC!!..

ha!! here was me last summer due to a crash headed into NYC in a school bus!! LOL..

-Christopher

well my pic wont show for some reason.. not sure why...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I get about driving a bus in NYC!!..
I won't be staying in NYC once I get my vehicle and convert it. So, no driving here unless it's to get out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ha!! here was me last summer due to a crash headed into NYC in a school bus!! LOL..

. . . well my pic wont show for some reason.. not sure why...
Your link showed up in the notification email I received, so I saw it. It was the view from your dashboard, looking out at the bridge. Was that the one what you wanted to share?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that was the one.. me driving into the city on the GW as rush hour approached.. LOL.. I didnt take any pics when I ended up IN the city.. i was too busy driving

im used to taking a TRAIN or RIDING a bus into the city.. not DRIVING a bus into the city

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Yeah that's the norm.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tags
greeting, intro, introduction