Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hiya! Newbie from NYC here.

Hello everyone. I'm here because I want to learn about converting a school bus and whether or not it is possible to live in one and travel full-time. I'm nowhere near ready to embark on my dream of nomadship, but my research has to start sometime. I will definitely have a steep learning curve about a lot of things, but I think small mini-buses are pretty cool and I'm glad a forum like this exists. Don't worry - I'm not shy about asking questions!

Nomadiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
I'm in Suffolk, not too far from you. Shoot me a PM and feel free to come check out my build.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm in Orange County....same goes here if you have any questions [emoji106]
Welcome!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the warm welcome

Many thanks to both of you!

I've been searching the conversion threads to see if there are any pics of completed conversions from members who are on the road as full-time nomads, but haven't found any yet. There are a lot of threads about the conversion process, but I'd like to see pictures of the end results to see what's possible. Can either of you - and anyone else - point me in the right direction? Which members are full-timers?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Pinterest is full of completed conversion photos. This is kind of a build site, but there are a few that full time here.

Something you should note, most of these buses are never finished. There's always something to make a bus better.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Welcome!

I'm in Brooklyn ready to start my conversion process. Same here if you have any questions.
catriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Pinterest is full of completed conversion photos.
Oh, gee, of course. Thanks. I hate Pinterest and never go there, so I didn't think of it. I prefer to visit the site a picture came from rather than someone's Pinterest board. I'll keep googling around.

Quote:
This is kind of a build site, but there are a few that full time here.
Yes, that this is a build-focused site seems obvious since it is the "school bus conversion network," but wouldn't a predominant purpose of all the building and converting be geared for RVing and/or F/T living? Otherwise, what else would anyone be converting buses for, other than for mobile businesses? I'm curious. I'm totally new to the idea of nomadding in a bus, and have been focused on researching other types of vehicles, so I have no idea what other uses there are for converted buses.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriguez View Post
Welcome!

I'm in Brooklyn ready to start my conversion process. Same here if you have any questions.
I just checked out your thread where you say you fell in love with the first bus you saw. Good for you! Are you going to rent a garage or small warehouse somewhere in or near the city to work on it?
Old 05-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Once people get their conversions completed they seem to be out of touch more frequently.

If I was boondocking I'd have no internet unless I went to a free wifi spot in town, and I don't spend much time in town.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Once people get their conversions completed they seem to be out of touch more frequently.

If I was boondocking I'd have no internet unless I went to a free wifi spot in town, and I don't spend much time in town.
That makes sense.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadiana View Post
Oh, gee, of course. Thanks. I hate Pinterest and never go there, so I didn't think of it. I prefer to visit the site a picture came from rather than someone's Pinterest board. I'll keep googling around.

Yes, that this is a build-focused site seems obvious since it is the "school bus conversion network," but wouldn't a predominant purpose of all the building and converting be geared for RVing and/or F/T living? Otherwise, what else would anyone be converting buses for, other than for mobile businesses? I'm curious. I'm totally new to the idea of nomadding in a bus, and have been focused on researching other types of vehicles, so I have no idea what other uses there are for converted buses.
sorry - i dont fit the Mold.. I drive my busses around for fun.. one is kind of a Mobile Tech development / test lab.. the other is a daily driver.. starbucks, roadtrips, groceries, friend-outings..

im more into the "hot-rodding" side.. not so much make it fast stuff.. but more like a classic / custom car style.. upgraded mechanicals, paint. stereos, electronics, etc.. that bus still has all its seats.. and will always likely unless I change them to more comfy seats.. .. alas im a wierd-bird type of "conversion"

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

We are going to rent a space in Staten Island at a maker space (with tools). Right now we are just trying to figure out how to make time for the build and not go completely crazy.
catriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
To be sure, you WILL go crazy!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #14
Skoolie

I hate to send people away from this site but YouTube has plenty of full-time schoolies living in their buses completely converted year round even with small children and big children.
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriguez View Post
We are going to rent a space in Staten Island at a maker space (with tools). Right now we are just trying to figure out how to make time for the build and not go completely crazy.
That's too awesome you found a maker space.
Finding the time has been the hardest thing for me and it's parked right behind the house!! I work 30hrs a week AND babysit 6 hrs a day but my two days off​ are completely dedicated to my build. The things that took up most of the time has been removing the rivets from the walls and ceiling, removing the seats and dealing with rust after removing the flooring. I think the demolition part of the build takes up most of the time. I see smoother sailing ahead with the actual "build".
Yeah, you'll go crazy but only out of frustration that you can't be working on it around the clock or your just plain out exhausted LOL
Plan on spending much more time on it than you originally figured it would take. I thought 6mths would do it but I'm 8mths in and not half way through!! Everybody's different though with different schedules, energy, muscle, resources and general know how. You say "we", so hopefully you'll have some help. I'm doing it alone so it's taking me twice as long.
:thumbs up:

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #16
Bus Geek

And I'm at the other extreme. Living in the bus while converting it alone.

It takes most people a couple years before they consider it finished, but most builds are easy to use before they're completed. It's nice to get some actual camping experience in your bus to help define the floorplan.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 33220 GVwR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadiana View Post
Hello everyone. I'm here because I want to learn about converting a school bus and whether or not it is possible to live in one and travel full-time. I'm nowhere near ready to embark on my dream of nomadship, but my research has to start sometime. I will definitely have a steep learning curve about a lot of things, but I think small mini-buses are pretty cool and I'm glad a forum like this exists. Don't worry - I'm not shy about asking questions!

Well hello there where from Staten Island New York and will be in the same boat as you on the learning curve.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Don't Fret God's Not Through With Me Yet!
IWC Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
What was previously said about dropping off the map when your conversion is finished is spot on. Mine is set up for full time boondocking, and I admit I've been awful at updating my build thread. I'll be nearly finished in about a month or so. Might be worth the hike out here to check all the systems out if you are hoping to do the same.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
And I'm at the other extreme. Living in the bus while converting it alone.

It takes most people a couple years before they consider it finished, but most builds are easy to use before they're completed. It's nice to get some actual camping experience in your bus to help define the floorplan.
As soon as I can I'll be living in mine full time and finishing on the road [emoji2]
I gotta be movin'on because I'm getting antsy!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 08:46 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 33220 GVwR
I definitely know how you feel? I'm scheduled to pick mine bus up on June 20th and I'm anxious to get to work on it and hit the road during the summer. I will be doing some work on it as we travel also.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Don't Fret God's Not Through With Me Yet!
IWC Bus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greeting, intro, introduction