Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North carolina
Posts: 651
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
The men at the bus barn here (nc) were not allowed allowed to make recommendation's on the book's but they told me that even if (after selling buses to there church) that I could adjust the governor's but I would burn up the rear end gear's? I cannot get any local's to recommend or do the work without handing just the gears to them? We want to be in texas from North Carolina now but the Jolly Roger can only do 49 mph downhill? I keep looking for complete rear changes but I also want to get away from split ring rim's? Any advice from your friend in texas would be great because this is where the Jolly Roger is heading even if I have to do 49 the entire way???
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,937
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
The men at the bus barn here (nc) were not allowed allowed to make recommendation's on the book's but they told me that even if (after selling buses to there church) that I could adjust the governor's but I would burn up the rear end gear's? I cannot get any local's to recommend or do the work without handing just the gears to them? We want to be in texas from North Carolina now but the Jolly Roger can only do 49 mph downhill? I keep looking for complete rear changes but I also want to get away from split ring rim's? Any advice from your friend in texas would be great because this is where the Jolly Roger is heading even if I have to do 49 the entire way???
None of that makes any sense at all. The rear end gears don't care how fast they are turning.

I would disregard most of what that guy told you. He lacks understanding of what he is talking about.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North carolina
Posts: 651
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Ok I have 6.50 rear Gear's an at-545 with an 8.2 dd?
How do I get more road speed??
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #14
Site Team
 
bansil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MNT CITY TN
Posts: 5,044
Think about this:

I drove a 1962 Chevy "super duty" 1-1/2 ton 4x4 from elpaso to NE TN, it had 5:38 gears an Eaton reart, sb chebbie and 4spd....it was a 45/50 mph truck, I threw a 70 gallon tank off a 18wheeler in the bed, loaded bed and headed east.
It took 2-1/2 days to get to vidor Tx where I got stopped, by sheriff

A couple days later I was in Bristol TN....bet I got 4 miles to the gallon
__________________
Our build La Tortuga
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North carolina
Posts: 651
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
Think about this:

I drove a 1962 Chevy "super duty" 1-1/2 ton 4x4 from elpaso to NE TN, it had 5:38 gears an Eaton reart, sb chebbie and 4spd....it was a 45/50 mph truck, I threw a 70 gallon tank off a 18wheeler in the bed, loaded bed and headed east.
It took 2-1/2 days to get to vidor Tx where I got stopped, by sheriff

A couple days later I was in Bristol TN....bet I got 4 miles to the gallon
Thank's for the history and I do appreciate the comment! But that didn't address the question?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #16
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
The answer isn't pretty. Probably best to start with another bus with the right drivetrain. Cheaper in the long run.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,937
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
The answer isn't pretty. Probably best to start with another bus with the right drivetrain. Cheaper in the long run.
True depending on their final goal for the bus. The more parts you change one at a time, the more the cost go's up.

Or just swap out that old rear end for a nice, 4.44, or higher gear ratio.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
Hank's P-O-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MB
Posts: 275
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Thank's for the history and I do appreciate the comment! But that didn't address the question?

From what I understand the AT545 is a non overdrive transmission.
That is the first problem.
Second is the 6 something rear gears.
My bus does around 100 kph downhill (60 mph) with 4 something rear gears and a non overdrive transmission.

You can either exchange rear gears or replace the axel.
I feel like replacing the axel will be cheaper and easier than replacing the gears.
Most MD axels would fit I think. Possibly even HD axels.
Around here there are several MD and HD salvage places.
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,167
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Speed, RPM's, gearing, tire size and MPG are all related. If you want to play "what if" with some numbers...spend a few minutes with them all on a decent calculator.

Like this one...I like the one at the bottom of the page...


Engine RPM Calculator
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:39 AM   #20
Site Team
 
bansil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MNT CITY TN
Posts: 5,044
Jolly, it just jogged my brain of what not enough gear does for a trip, I put on 37 inch tall tires to get a little more out of her

What size tires do you have?
__________________
Our build La Tortuga
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.