Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 3
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
I bought my bus!

Hey everyone,

Well I did it, I bought my bus. I live in southern California and I did a ton of research to find the best deal I could.

It turned out that the best deal that I could find was in Phoenix, AZ. So I flew out here yesterday and now I am the proud owner of a beautiful 9 window International. I know that I am totally ignorant of all the lingo but I promise to learn fast.

I purchased it from AAA Bus Sales, LLC. Tony and Joe spent the majority of the day with me, took me on a test drive and generally fed me so much information about busses that I'm still processing everything. They were awesome and incredibly fair in their pricing and service. They ran a full fluid and electrical test and made sure that everything on the bus was working as it should. I was extremely impressed with these guys and would highly recommend them.

So, tomorrow morning, I will be driving back home to southern California. I'm a bit ignorant on the regulations of driving a retired school bus in Cali, but I'm sure that I will learn fast. I guess that will give me something to do while sitting in this moderately crappy hotel room.

Anyways, I'm really excited to start my build and get to meet some great people here.

WP_20171020_005.jpg
mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 400
Many congrats ... Have fun with it.

I'd be interested to hear the prices from AAA. They were very coy when I contacted them and I'm not sure it's worth a 1200 mile journey without an idea of how their prices compare.
__________________
Steve Bracken
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Many congrats ... Have fun with it.

I'd be interested to hear the prices from AAA. They were very coy when I contacted them and I'm not sure it's worth a 1200 mile journey without an idea of how their prices compare.
AAA commonly posts their inventory with pricing on Phoenix Craigslist. Their prices are pretty reasonable for a dealer IMO and I've only seen good feedback about them on the forum. I'm in Phoenix and have been meaning to check them out, need to get the bus budget a bit fatter first.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
jordan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan76 View Post
AAA commonly posts their inventory with pricing on Phoenix Craigslist. Their prices are pretty reasonable for a dealer IMO and I've only seen good feedback about them on the forum. I'm in Phoenix and have been meaning to check them out, need to get the bus budget a bit fatter first.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Found them, thank you.

They look at least as reasonable as any other dealer, and they have some very nice, rust-free buses.
__________________
Steve Bracken
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 11,705
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Found them, thank you.

They look at least as reasonable as any other dealer, and they have some very nice, rust-free buses.
I haven't checked their prices, but if they're even in the ballpark of FL dealer pricing there's nothing "reasonable" about it.
This BGA listing is for a 2002 CE 8 window with 444E. They want twenty grand!!!!
#1778 2004 International CE200 T444E Diesel Auto Air Brakes 8 row@ BGA School Buses, Inc. Hudson, FL
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I haven't checked their prices, but if they're even in the ballpark of FL dealer pricing there's nothing "reasonable" about it.
This BGA listing is for a 2002 CE 8 window with 444E. They want twenty grand!!!!
#1778 2004 International CE200 T444E Diesel Auto Air Brakes 8 row@ BGA School Buses, Inc. Hudson, FL
These are not "Florida Buses".

They are rust free, and this one is typical:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...352802215.html

Their prices are high but the buses seem good. They are too rich for me, I'll take my chances at auction.
__________________
Steve Bracken
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 11,705
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
These are not "Florida Buses".

They are rust free, and this one is typical:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...352802215.html

Their prices are high but the buses seem good. They are too rich for me, I'll take my chances at auction.
Yeah I'm strictly an auction buyer myself.
AAA should list their prices. Seems REALLY sketchy to me when dealers ask you to "inquire".
That CL bus is a STEAL compared to the dealer buses here in FL.
Our dealers sell junk from up north bought for a song for TOP DOLLAR.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah I'm strictly an auction buyer myself.
AAA should list their prices. Seems REALLY sketchy to me when dealers ask you to "inquire".
That CL bus is a STEAL compared to the dealer buses here in FL.
Our dealers sell junk from up north bought for a song for TOP DOLLAR.
I thought it a fair price from a dealer. I need to save where I can, and at auction that bus should sell for 2/3rds the listed price. Maybe less on a good day. Still, it's a good bus for someone and they have several similar.
__________________
Steve Bracken
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 11,705
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I thought it a fair price from a dealer. I need to save where I can, and at auction that bus should sell for 2/3rds the listed price. Maybe less on a good day. Still, it's a good bus for someone and they have several similar.
The Renton WA buses were the deals of the season. MECHANICAL 8.3's with 3060's in forty foot RE's with air ride and ALL the bells and whistles. They were four grand each when all was said and done. A friend bought one and they're like new.

But I digress- enough thread jacking lol
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 3
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
Well, I made it back home and the bus was perfect. Not one issue over the 5.5 hour drive and I now have a much greater appreciation for big rig drivers.

People just do not pay attention to a big 40,000 lb hunk of yellow steel driving down the freeway. Which is odd.

I don't really want to publicly post what I paid for the bus out of deference to the guys at AAA, but if you are interested send me a pm and I will disseminate it privately.

Tony takes the utmost pride in his vehicles and he told me numerous times that he would never sell a bus, especially to a future skoolie, that wasn't 100% fit for the road.

Absolutely everything works on the bus, all the lights, all the switches and even the wheelchair lift is fully functional.

If it weren't for the faded paint and the dust on the inside you would swear it was new.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my op that I will be starting a YouTube channel soon dedicated to my build and I will make sure to get the link to all of you guys.

I guess that I can say this much about the price that I paid, it was under $6,000.

UPDATE: As far as auctions go, I agree that you can get some great deals. But that's as far as it goes. I decided to go with AAA because after I spoke to Joe over the phone I knew that they would be willing to help me throughout my build.

As they are both doing their own conversions, they have a genuine interest in skoolies and they are just as excited as I am to get started.

I know that I will have a long and fruitful relationship with them and they both assured me that they would be available to answer questions and help with parts as long as I needed them.

To me, having that kind of a resource is invaluable.

Also, I am going to take a ton of pictures of the bus tomorrow and post them here. It is very comparable to the one that EastCoastCB posted.
mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.