Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
I have a (skoolie) dream

Hi everyone, I have had a plan in the back of my head for years to convert a bus into a sweet little skoolie. I am finally in a place where I can start to make that happen.

My goal is to create a skoolie tea cafe. I have a specific look I want in my bus: I would like a flat-nosed bus that is 25-30 ft long to maximize interior space while keeping it small for parking it and maneuvering it in downtown areas without too much trouble. Ultimately, I'd like to take the tea bus across the country, selling tea in beautiful places and meeting loads of folks along the way.

So many ideas! I'm excited!

I should mention that my construction skills are nil, so this should be interesting. If anyone has any thoughts on a good place to find the type of bus I am looking for please let me know. And if anyone is in the Raleigh-Durham area with similar skoolie aspirations let's get in touch

I'm looking forward to learning and hopefully being a resource here.

--mmpetunia
mmpetunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 266
Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
I love this idea!! A friend of mine wants to do a food-truck, but i keep trying to convince him a bus is the way to go! Custom build it to what you want, and everything is already heavy duty. I have a bus like the kind you want. Its a 1990 Bluebird. flat nose, about 30 feet long, diesel, auto trans, hydraulic wheelchair lift (dirtbike lift for me). I got it from a guy who bought it at an auction from a school district. ($2500). A bus that size would be a perfect coffee house, and give enough room for living/travel quarters. Way easy to drive and navigate as well. Start watching public surplus auctions in your area, im sure they pop up often. I think i had coffee at a place in that area call the Durham Press? or Daily Press?-- I dont recall the name, but it was a cool joint....
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
I love this idea!! A friend of mine wants to do a food-truck, but i keep trying to convince him a bus is the way to go! Custom build it to what you want, and everything is already heavy duty. I have a bus like the kind you want. Its a 1990 Bluebird. flat nose, about 30 feet long, diesel, auto trans, hydraulic wheelchair lift (dirtbike lift for me). I got it from a guy who bought it at an auction from a school district. ($2500). A bus that size would be a perfect coffee house, and give enough room for living/travel quarters. Way easy to drive and navigate as well. Start watching public surplus auctions in your area, im sure they pop up often. I think i had coffee at a place in that area call the Durham Press? or Daily Press?-- I dont recall the name, but it was a cool joint....

Thanks! I'm really excited about the whole thing-- traveling in a bus and having a tea cafe all in one. It's a dream for sure! I have been looking at auctions. None available in my area but I did find one out of the area! They seem to be a little harder to find than a full sized bus. I found one on CL a few months back but the guy wanted $6000 for it. :/ I am really liking Durham, I just moved here in January but it's been good so far. Tons of coffee shops and food trucks. Gardens everywhere.
mmpetunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,939
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpetunia View Post
Thanks! I'm really excited about the whole thing-- traveling in a bus and having a tea cafe all in one. It's a dream for sure! I have been looking at auctions. None available in my area but I did find one out of the area! They seem to be a little harder to find than a full sized bus. I found one on CL a few months back but the guy wanted $6000 for it. :/ I am really liking Durham, I just moved here in January but it's been good so far. Tons of coffee shops and food trucks. Gardens everywhere.
im a coffee Shop junkie.. (Ok im a software guy that lives in coffee shops drinking espresso all hours of the day while banging out kickass code)..

I found raleigh / durham to be awesome last time I was there... which was 2 years ago when I bought a car in cary and drove it home...

your idea is fantastic... I'd totally Love sitting in a bus or a patio table around one drinking espresso / tea, etc... windows open, bright and cheery.. yeah!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North carolina
Posts: 651
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpetunia View Post
Hi everyone, I have had a plan in the back of my head for years to convert a bus into a sweet little skoolie. I am finally in a place where I can start to make that happen.

My goal is to create a skoolie tea cafe. I have a specific look I want in my bus: I would like a flat-nosed bus that is 25-30 ft long to maximize interior space while keeping it small for parking it and maneuvering it in downtown areas without too much trouble. Ultimately, I'd like to take the tea bus across the country, selling tea in beautiful places and meeting loads of folks along the way.

So many ideas! I'm excited!

I should mention that my construction skills are nil, so this should be interesting. If anyone has any thoughts on a good place to find the type of bus I am looking for please let me know. And if anyone is in the Raleigh-Durham area with similar skoolie aspirations let's get in touch

I'm looking forward to learning and hopefully being a resource here.

--mmpetunia
Hi,
I live 2-hours south of you down at the beach and I worked last weekend and again this weekend in Graham, just 30-min. North of you. I used to live in Cary but wasn't ever a big fan of Raleigh or Durham.
I found mine at the county bus barn. Find and call the wake county bus barn or a little farther away the mecklenburg county barn.
Both districts should have suited for the highway and hills because that is the area they work.
Also they don't usually advertise there activity buses for sale but make sure you bring them up in discussion or if you do get to go to a barn to look around.
Mine ain't nowhere near a coffee shop or a rear engine but you are more than welcome to look at what I have done as far as framing/plumbing/electrical ideas anytime with notice of course.
I don't usually work weekends out of town but June is starting off rough.
Let me know.
And falls of the neuse in Raleigh is a beautiful place as well as lake Jordan outside of Cary/apex if that's your cup of tea/coffee?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Hi,
I live 2-hours south of you down at the beach and I worked last weekend and again this weekend in Graham, just 30-min. North of you. I used to live in Cary but wasn't ever a big fan of Raleigh or Durham.
I found mine at the county bus barn. Find and call the wake county bus barn or a little farther away the mecklenburg county barn.
Both districts should have suited for the highway and hills because that is the area they work.
Also they don't usually advertise there activity buses for sale but make sure you bring them up in discussion or if you do get to go to a barn to look around.
Mine ain't nowhere near a coffee shop or a rear engine but you are more than welcome to look at what I have done as far as framing/plumbing/electrical ideas anytime with notice of course.
I don't usually work weekends out of town but June is starting off rough.
Let me know.
And falls of the neuse in Raleigh is a beautiful place as well as lake Jordan outside of Cary/apex if that's your cup of tea/coffee?
Hey, thanks so much for the offer I would love that! Once I get a bus I'm sure I will have a million questions and I learn best when I can see an example.
mmpetunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Hey! Great dream! I wish I had seen this earlier. I have traveled the country for more than a decade serving free tea (the past 8 years from my converted school bus). I actually spent the Winter and part of Spring in the Durham area on a farm. I wish we could have met up and shared some tea and chatted tea buses.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. For more info on my project, check out freeteaparty.org or Facebook.com/freeteaparty

Guisepi
Guisepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guisepi View Post
Hey! Great dream! I wish I had seen this earlier. I have traveled the country for more than a decade serving free tea (the past 8 years from my converted school bus). I actually spent the Winter and part of Spring in the Durham area on a farm. I wish we could have met up and shared some tea and chatted tea buses.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. For more info on my project, check out freeteaparty.org or Facebook.com/freeteaparty

Guisepi
Oh, wow looks like we just missed each other. Darnit! Next time you are nearby let me know.
mmpetunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.