Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
that is a nice looking bus! Welcome to the community!!!

Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: 35' Low Floor
Engine: Cummins ISM CM570
Rated Cap: 32+53
Have I mentioned yet that the folks at Gillig service are awesome? I called them looking for a parts manual, and they sent me a download link to a PDF, for my bus! (Well, for the order that my bus was in.) Now I know what to call the doojinkus, if not how to fix it...
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Great bus! I'm looking at picking up a Gillig LF similar to this. I'm trying to figure out the rough floor to ceiling height at the front of the bus for planning my layout. I'm trying to determine if it's feasible to have a lofted bed over the couch/lounge area underneath, behind the driver's seat. Any chance you could get me a ballpark measurement? Good luck getting it all set up and dialed in!
Lokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

My interior is about 94" wide, tapering a bit at the bottom. The front section is about 95" up to the ceiling between the soffits. (you need those, they include cable runs and distribution for the air conditioning.) In the back, it's about 78" to the ceiling.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

First hack at a floor plan. I discovered I need to do a few more measurements.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for posting the layout so I can steal some of your measurements! Are the front wheel wells really different sizes? I wouldn't really be that surprised I suppose...
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Lostranger has a Gillig low-floor. He used to post on the Nomadicista forum, but he hasn't been active there for a while. He's done a lot to his bus.

John
Iceni John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

If you haven't seen Lostranger's build thread before you can find it here:
https://nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2541

There's a lot of work that went into that bus, and there's a lot of good information regarding what you'll find on the earlier generation Gillig LF's.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Interior Plan

This is a better plan with more dimensions. (It's been raining today, so I didn't go back under the bus.)

Old 09-29-2017, 07:38 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokk View Post
If you haven't seen Lostranger's build thread before you can find it here:
https://nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2541

There's a lot of work that went into that bus, and there's a lot of good information regarding what you'll find on the earlier generation Gillig LF's.
No, I hadn't seen that thread -- he has one of the very first run of low floors. Thanks for the link!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokk View Post
Thanks for posting the layout so I can steal some of your measurements! Are the front wheel wells really different sizes? I wouldn't really be that surprised I suppose...
Yes, the two covers are different. The 56" one actually has a 2" fillet at the aft end (as well as extending forward into the driver's area), but I didn't model that for this rev.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

So, I was under the bus verifying the type of airbag so I can order parts, and noticed the data plate for the transmission.

Turns out I was wrong -- It's a ZF Ecomat 2!
Old 10-01-2017, 12:32 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
So, I was under the bus verifying the type of airbag so I can order parts, and noticed the data plate for the transmission.

Turns out I was wrong -- It's a ZF Ecomat 2!
I don't know that the ZF will be all that much easier to get parts and service. But at least you know for sure what it is now.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #34
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
I don't know that the ZF will be all that much easier to get parts and service. But at least you know for sure what it is now.
CTA in Chicago just sold-off a few new ZF's. I know there are different models, but if you keep the bus, it might be nice to score a tranny fora rainy day. They were about a grand each, IRC.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

A good thought, but this one was recently rebuilt, and I don't have anywhere to keep a spare. I am learning that this bus has otherwise suffered from some deferred maintenance -- getting some of the access panels open has been a challenge, with the latches grunged up.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Fun with airbags

So, today's task was to change out the blown airbag in the rear suspension. Simple, right? Well yes, once you've linearized all your waterfowl...

I cleverly ordered the replacement airbag a few days ago, and got it on Thursday so there would be no delays once I started. The first stop today was to the local import tool purveyor, as I didn't have a bottle jack, stands, or a set of sockets I could leave in the bus. Credit card smoking, it was off to FamiLAB.

Since the bus has an air leak, it was already down on the stops, and ready to be jacked up. I quickly ran onto my first snag - the jack only had a piddly two-part handle that was going to wear out in a heartbeat. Luckily, the lab has a nice hydraulic press with a good jack handle, so I borrowed that for the day, and made a note to fab a proper handle later. I then discovered that the jack stands I bought were just a smidge taller than the highest level I could jack to. Argh. Drop the bus (gently), and back to HF to exchange the jack stands. (I thought I needed 12-ton stands; the service manual (thank you Gillig Service!) says 5-ton stands are ok.)

Ok, pump her up again, and get the stand in there. Other than some ominous creaks, this is no problem. A lot of pumping, but no problem.

Now to the main event. The manual says remove the air fitting, remove the nuts, compress the airbag, pull it, put the new airbag in, secure with the nuts, and connect the air fitting. For the most part, that's how it went.

See the air fitting? Yeah. Two lines and a tee to get them both to the airbag. So, what actually happened was I removed the 2 nuts I could get at, loosened the one around the air, slid the bag over a bit and removed the 2 air lines, then removed the tee, the nut, and eventually, the airbag. To compress the airbag, I put a ratchet strap around it and cranked it down. Even so, I ended up jacking the frame another inch to clear the bolts and stud.

Oh, and did I mention that the sockets I cleverly bought wouldn't go over the nuts? Yep, another trip to HF for deep well sockets.

Getting the new bag in was considerably easier, basically the reverse of the previous steps.

I didn't get any pictures of the completed repair because of the thundershower, but suffice to say I was wet and happy when I started the bus and she stood up straight on her new spring!

Now that I can get a good look at it, its easy to see why the bag failed; old age and exposure to oil and road gunk.

Next on the list; fluids & filters. I'm concerned about how much oil is getting into the wet tank for the air system.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Have I mentioned yet that the folks at Gillig service are awesome? I called them looking for a parts manual, and they sent me a download link to a PDF, for my bus! (Well, for the order that my bus was in.) Now I know what to call the doojinkus, if not how to fix it...
Any chance you'd be willing to share that PDF? I'm looking to buy a similar Gillig and would love some reference material to look at!
chaoslost200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #38
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoslost200 View Post
Any chance you'd be willing to share that PDF? I'm looking to buy a similar Gillig and would love some reference material to look at!
Include me too, plz.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #39

Year: 2000
We just purchased a 2000 Gillig. Any chance you could share the PDF as well with us? I know this is an older post....
THB Cycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: Cummins ISM / Allison B500 Combo
Quote:
No, I hadn't seen that thread -- he has one of the very first run of low floors. Thanks for the link!
Hi, I just bought a 2001 Gillig and also leave in Florida, I was wondering if you still have it and maybe connect with you to exchange experiences.

Cheers
caioalmeida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gillig, new bus, transit