Old 04-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Whatcha talkin 'bout Willis? You got a problem with cousin Eddie? He is a good father/husband and all around great guy, he would give you his shirt to keep you warm( don't mention being cold around him tho' ;) )

You could go ol skool.....a hand saw, file, scraper and sand paper....this country was built before electricity..... Of course there wasn't home improvement stores then
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Yeah, why not move over to the conversion area and start a thread? Or I can move this one and clean it up.....you figured out the pictures....we can clean up intro or you can cut and paste, just let me know if I can help
Old 04-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
It sounds like you have some great ideas about what you will or may do with the bus. It'll be fun to see the progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannMan View Post
[...] What I want to avoid when I do get on the road is alienating other campers with the obnoxious noise of a generator or a table saw. I may need to limit their use to when I'm alone or certain hours - perhaps install some soundproofing. I'm still thinkin' on those things yet.

As for charging the batts, the primary would be from the engine alternator. I'm looking at solar as a possibility or perhaps using one of the auto alternators I have here mounted to a removable mast and install a prop on it for a wind-powered battery charger. I actually have a couple original Corvair generators, too. I'll have to see what the spec's on those are.
That's the problem with generators: typically they're unbearably loud, or unbearably expensive. Personally I think it would be kind of fun to see a guy with his mobile wood shop in a camp ground, but then again I appreciate my neighbor's wood working hobby even when I hear his table saw running at midnight. To me it's the sound of industry and creativity; hearing the neighbor's TV/movie/stereo in the same way drove me to move out of my last house!

If you're planning to move around often, charging from the alternator may work out. If you'd be parked in one site for a while, though, probably not so good. Also keep in mind run-of-the-mill auto alternators are intended for low duty cycle operation -- they'll run heavy for 10 minutes or whatever to recharge a the starting battery, but it might bring on early death if the alternator is asked to spend long periods of time charging a well-depleted house battery bank.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
Site Team

Mount gennie on roof with 4 plywood/foam board walls with open top notice goes to the aliens