Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
i think ill call it bus 52

been hanging around here awhile just registered i'm in the planning stages of a permanent home on wheels been reading a lot and going to put out my plans here as sometimes people do ask good questions and help out with great advice. however as with all advice confirm it or dispel it without insult or ill brand you ahole if you don't agree read no further
1 I been studying solar power and batteries for main energy ac is possible using this with super insulating. a solid awning that slides out of under my solar panels will have more solar panels increasing my ability to cool when im in hot sunlite gas oven, water heater and stove 3 stage led lighting among other energy efficient options modular systems (multiple)so a failed inverter does not knock out my entire system 2 raise the roof!! i plan on angling it in front to decrease wind resistance and add 16 to 20 inches. blank all windows and install just a few energy efficient ones 3 make a great bedroom by installing a rear slide to give you more floor space at the end of your bed
4 recirculating water supply for endless showers using physical and biological filters (cost efficient!!!) i spent a lot of time learning and designing a system only to find out its commercially available this separate 30 gal water system would also supply a washer dryer unit i plan on having
5 a slide out picnic table and outdoor cooking will help prevent indoor heat issues (i grew up with a summer kitchen) 6 water and sewage tanks which can be removed for dumping without tearing up camp or a small trailer i can pull behind my pickup to transfer that can be loaded into the bed when travelling. bus acquisition is planned for this summer and final plans will be done solar panels will be last to buy as the technology is rapidly evolving with cost dropping every month some items will be recycled as i found that insurance companies sell (auction )wrecked and flooded campers cheap now some of these ideas are not mine and im always open to suggestions (properly worded please) and ill be taking a lot of pics im still going to watch what is posted here for improvements and any ideas you might have im trying to be capable of extreme boondocking ok earthlings have at me

mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome mmoore6856

I like a guy that's got a plan. Nothing you said was unreasonable on this site, although I think you're definitely calling for a long bus because of space issues.

No opposition here. When do we start?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome mmoore6856

I like a guy that's got a plan. Nothing you said was unreasonable on this site, although I think you're definitely calling for a long bus because of space issues.

No opposition here. When do we start?
i got a wife i lived in a camper in iowa a few years ill try to make it fun this time
Old 04-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
Sounds like you've thought this out. Guess the main considerations are.

1. Budget
2. Your Ability to do things VS paying to have it done. (Goes back to budget)
3. Time

On the solar, I'm not an expert on this, but you will gain more watts if your able to angle your panels and even more if they will track. It may also be simpler to store your extra panels and deploy them as needed. This will allow you to set them in the best position/location possible. I have thought about covering my bus in panels, but I would rather park in the shade when available. I will still have several 100w worth on top when I'm done though and I do plan on having several to set out if I'm in the shade.

Really sounds like your looking for a 40' bus.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

I'm shooting for 3 to 5 kw and found its possible and yes I have the plumbing electrical welding and painting experience
Old 04-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

I'm the Mrs. and would like some input on the finishing touches

Hello, This is Rita, the Mrs. ,Mike and I have been planning this adventure for several years. We've been filling up journals with plans and doing a lot of reading. However, another learning tool is listening to others about what they found would work and what didn't. We also realize what may have worked for one didn't necessarily work for others but we will appreciate what that you took the time to respond. What I'm working on is the planning of the kitchen area, storage, appliances. We've sold our home and have been parring down on household items so we take the most essential items, but making it efficient but still with the homey touches. Regarding stoves and ovens it will be gas. Ideas on countertop and a built in oven or a conventional one piece. I like to bake and it needs to be big enough to roast a chicken or small ham and of course sweets. The refrigerator we've found is a 3 way and about 7 or 8 cubic feet..too small or just right? It needs to have a small freezer. Also we plan on having a stackable washer and dryer. I have other questions but have dishes to do, we won't need a dishwasher, I enjoy doing the dishes by hand. But ideas on sinks would be welcomed. Thank you and nice meeting you.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hello Rita and Mike

The way you're approaching your build is already a good sign. Are you thinking of getting a coach instead of a school bus? That size vehicle would sure help with all the things you want to put in there.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Need to be off road capable so school with locking axel and ground clearance we plan on really away from grid