Old 03-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Generally speaking and based on info from this site, if you bought a 40' bus and completely built it as a live-in motorhome you would have approximately $20k in the build including the cost of the bus. Some higher and some lower. Some of us are minimalists in our builds while others get quite technical. It's all about what you're going to use the bus for.

I'm sure you could put a photo studio in a bus. I've seen photographers, pet doctors, technicians and more working from a bus. You'd be working with low ceilings but it could work.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbloom View Post
Hi robin,
Thanks for your advice. So what I am aiming to do is turn this bus into a mobile photo studio / photobooth with the capacity to sleep and do week to month long road trips in.

At least for phase 1, i'm not looking to live out of it - more as an adjunct vehicle that I can take on the road or to events. So I want it to have some hidden storage, perhaps a platform where photo's are taken then a murphy still bed as the wall or underneath the platform, as well as a desk, some storage and a cool funky space in which to take pictures.

I have enough money to buy a bus now so I am actively looking for a shorter bus, but will start a kick starter to revamp it. I'm still trying to find out what the average cost of a bus is what I should be looking for when I buy it in terms of assessing the bus and how well it has been maintained.
Sbloom - I know Texas is quite a distance from you, but there is a short bus similar to mine a few short miles from mine. I will see if I can get some pictures and send to you this weekend. Definitely stay away from anything that needs an engine or tranny swap.
Robin - My short bus also has a flat floor / no fender wells. Does anyone know why that is? Just curious.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need bus, newbie, starting out