Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I JUST had a tooth pulled yesterday.
I've had a few extracted over the years, and a few root canals.

Teeth > Buses. Always take care of teeth first!

Tell em bout your teeth and offer em $1100.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Smaller dental offices will often cut you a deal, especially if you can pony up in cash.

Sometimes the right bus is worth a tooth or some other small appendage.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Go on this web site and get a dental savings plan. Ask which one your dentist accepts and if they don't just call around town and find one that does. Most dentists' offices take these and basically it's an agreed on price for the cost of each different thing they offer. Usually the Carrington 500 plan saves the most. Any of the plans cost between $100 - $150 for a full year. Don't ever just pay full price

https://www.dentalplans.com/
YOU ARE A LIFESAVER...er, bussaver. I can't praise this forum enough for how much I've seen people lookin out for each other. I'm callin around today.

And Brad_SwiftFur, that's what this guy told me, so I'm happy to have that confirmed. He's trying to squeeze in time either tomorrow or this weekend
homebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I JUST had a tooth pulled yesterday.
I've had a few extracted over the years, and a few root canals.

Teeth > Buses. Always take care of teeth first!

Tell em bout your teeth and offer em $1100.
Dang, we're in the same boat toothwise. I was thinking of throwing $1,500 out there, but $1,100 would be sweeter. I'm not sure if I'm THAT bold unfortunately
Old 02-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Erm, well, guy couldn't go any lower cause he had already reduced the price a bunch. Guessit didn't matter regardless because the dentist told me I need OVER $11,000 OF WORK DONE. They're not screwing me either; I knew it was bad, just not THAT bad. With the dental discount plan at least (thanks again Thomas1985) it's $5,000, and that doesn't include the root canals I'll need at an endodontist.

At a loss for the bus hunt but NOT giving up yet. I've got two months before I move to go to school (for botanical medicine in NC) and I'd just love to have a bus by that time and not worry about rent (from then on). There's gotta be something out there for me and my rotten teeth.

Imma leave this thread be. Next time you hear from me hopefully it'll be complete with pictures of my new digs on wheels. Thanks to y'all who've answered my questions and gave me advice! Endless appreciation your way.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Yea it sucks having a setback but some things matter more than others. I'm glad that is saving you a bunch of money!
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebus View Post
Erm, well, guy couldn't go any lower cause he had already reduced the price a bunch. Guessit didn't matter regardless because the dentist told me I need OVER $11,000 OF WORK DONE. They're not screwing me either; I knew it was bad, just not THAT bad. With the dental discount plan at least (thanks again Thomas1985) it's $5,000, and that doesn't include the root canals I'll need at an endodontist.

At a loss for the bus hunt but NOT giving up yet. I've got two months before I move to go to school (for botanical medicine in NC) and I'd just love to have a bus by that time and not worry about rent (from then on). There's gotta be something out there for me and my rotten teeth.

Imma leave this thread be. Next time you hear from me hopefully it'll be complete with pictures of my new digs on wheels. Thanks to y'all who've answered my questions and gave me advice! Endless appreciation your way.
We're all rooting for ya! pun intended.
Best of luck to you, and we will all look forward to seeing your bus when you can get it all worked out.
I know firsthand how life can get in the way. Teeth, weddings, funerals, its non-stop.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you have that much dental work to be done you may like checking into getting your teeth fixed in Poland. Information is available online. Good dentistry, depressed economy.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Okay. So I didnt want to take up more space and start a new thread with this, so I figured Id pick uo where I left off here. I been searching. Despite dentist bills and the recent news that the transmission on my car has one foot in the grave, I been searching. I. Just. Want. A. Bus.

Im making the trip to Greensboro NC tomorrow to look at a bus I found on ebay. The guy answered all my questions on the phone today, and works on the buses himself so he knows mechanics.

I wanted to post the link here and see what yall have to say about it. Again, I know jack s*** about mechanics, but I been learning a whole lot more than I ever knew before this whole bus obsess...venture.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2000-FORD-E45...kAAOSwn3tameGS

I am curious about the transmission on this baby: it says its got overdrive but also that its a 3 speed. Assuming he knows his stuff and both of those are right, the only option there is that someone added an overdrive, correct? My understanding is that the AOD has overdrive, but is 4 speed, while the c6 is 3 but doesnt have overdrive. But then ford stopped making the c6 in '96, so if this is a 2000 then someone just added in a whole new (different) trans? Just tryna get my info right before I talk to this guy in person.

I gotta wake up in 5 hours to take this trip and be back by 6pm, so Im hoping to hear from one of yall by then . Any night owls/early birds out there who aren't sick of me yet?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #50

Year: 1983
Chassis: International
Engine: DT-466
It should be the ford 4r100. Which is a 4 speed trans. Not sure why the ad claims it's a 3 speed. It might be a typo.

-Patrick

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mustng78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

I loved this bus. It drove really well and everything looked good...until I got underneath. There was a bit of rust all under it, and I wasn't sure how big of a deal that was, but there was this floor support beam right above the rear wheels that is completely rotted off at the last 6 inches or so on both sides, and flaking off in huge chunks throughout.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebus View Post
I loved this bus. It drove really well and everything looked good...until I got underneath. There was a bit of rust all under it, and I wasn't sure how big of a deal that was, but there was this floor support beam right above the rear wheels that is completely rotted off at the last 6 inches or so on both sides, and flaking off in huge chunks throughout.
They can be replaced from above but you have to cut out the floor.

They are simple sections that you can have fabricated and the steel shouldn't be expensive ... but yer gonna need some cutting blades and a welder.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
I wouldn't want to start down that road

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #54
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
I wouldn't want to start down that road
I don't blame you. I didn't know if you already had it or not.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

I walked away. I really didnt want to (since I had driven 4 hours to check it out - because there was no mention of rust) and of course the dude told me it'd be fine, but I didnt want to take the chance. Hopefully looking at a e350 shuttle this weekend. Thanks for putting up with all this y'all
Old 03-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #56

Hi all. We have a '93 Amtran Bus. Our 8 yr old got really enthusiastic with his skateboard and slammed it into the lower Emergency door window. It is cracked now and we are trying to find a local (California if possible) window replacement. Does anyone have any leads please? Thank you.
Andreea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Flat glass? Any auto glass shop can knock that out on the cheap.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT

I am so freaking excited to say that I finally bought a bus y'all. Yesterday things actually worked out. Thanks for everyone's advice, input and good humor thus far. I started a thread over at the shorter bus conversions section, if any of y'all are curious about what I ended up with (and how dang beautiful it is!) come take a look:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/my...tml#post259014

Tags
beginner, excited, minibus, minimalist, newbie