Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
In the planning stage

Hello!

I LOVE that there's such a big and rich community to be a part of! I'm in Victoria BC and I'm in the planning stage of my skoolie adventure. I'll be moving up island for a quieter (read: get me out of the rat race and all its trappings) life this fall and in the process of trying to find alternative and cheap accommodation i discovered this. My best idea had been living aboard a boat, but as i have no boating experience, this idea was really the same lifestyle but on land.

I look forward to soaking up all the ideas and info here. It just occurred to me I'll need a different license. Thanks ahead of time for all this info and more!
Hophophouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,151
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Do you need a "different" license in Canada? Most states in the US do not require a CDL for a decommissioned bus or RV.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
My mother is a school bus driver with a special license so I assumed. Maybe you're right!
Hophophouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,151
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophophouse View Post
My mother is a school bus driver with a special license so I assumed. Maybe you're right!
In service school bus is considered a commercial vehicle and would require a CDL to operate it, usually not so after decommission
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,782
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have heard from several people that have tried to enter BC in air brake equipped RVs. They were stopped at the border and told that they could not continue because they didn't have a CDL.

I traveled BC to Ontario in a converted bus with air brakes and had no trouble. That was 20 years ago though.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,244
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have heard from several people that have tried to enter BC in air brake equipped RVs. They were stopped at the border and told that they could not continue because they didn't have a CDL.

I traveled BC to Ontario in a converted bus with air brakes and had no trouble. That was 20 years ago though.
Sandi just went to BC on air brakes. Maybe she got lucky?
I did warn her. But I've never been there and so I was just passing on what I'd heard on here.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,782
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Sandi just went to BC on air brakes. Maybe she got lucky?
I did warn her. But I've never been there and so I was just passing on what I'd heard on here.
I ran into some folks 2-3 years ago that had been turned around that morning for air brakes and no CDL.

Since then I have run into a handful of others that had similar experiences.

I was ignorant when I went up and I had zero trouble.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,244
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I ran into some folks 2-3 years ago that had been turned around that morning for air brakes and no CDL.

Since then I have run into a handful of others that had similar experiences.

I was ignorant when I went up and I had zero trouble.
Sounds like its a roll of the dice. Like most things "skoolie".
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.