Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Should make a section dedicated to insurance questions. It does come up a lot. Maybe
sutphinins would stick around to help or give more ideas for people. Sure is a help even if something doesn't pertain to my state or my needs at that time but then would have a reference to go back to.

Just my thoughts

livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy feet View Post
good day sir. welcome... I have a bus that was registered in ok. in 1906. I want to move the vehicle to ca. but having problems with ins. ok needs at least liability to move it.. ins. companies will not insure me because I live in ca.... suggestions? ... thank you for any suggestions you may offer.
I don't know the laws/regs of OK or CA, so I can't answer your question. If you haven't, call the DMV of CA and then OK and see what they tell you, and call your insurance agent and explain what you're trying to do.

My carriers in VA require a VA license within 30d of a policy being issued or it'll be cancelled. Everything I've been told is that you register the vehicles where you live. So if you live in VA, you register in VA and should have a VA license. However, different states have different requirements.

Progressive is the only carrier that is different, they aren't worried so much about where it's registered or you're licensed, only where the vehicle is. So if you're in SD 6mo 1d, your policy should be there. I had this come up with a guy last year. His car registered in SD - they don't actually require registrations apparently - and he's licensed in VA but spends more time in SD. He had to get a policy in SD, because the vehicle was not in VA for 6mo out of the year.
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I did talk to National General.
They won't touch until it is done and I send pictures in of the main rooms... Sleeping/ bathroom/ kitchen /plumbing etc. Then they go from there. All he told me is it needs to "LOOK" professional. Doesn't have to be fancy just no 2*4s showing type thing. But I will check the others as well.

Question... If the state sees it to change the bus title to an "RV" and recognize as such wouldn't that mean an insurance company would see it as that as well even if it is a conversion?

Also thanks for coming on the forum and trying to help answer questions. It is an issue and its nice to have someone to bounce questions off.

Thanks again.
What I'm running into is that it's not a professional conversion. That's what everyone was telling me no about for the RV quotes. Bus wasn't really an issue.

Of the 11 standard companies I have that we do cars with, 1 doesn't do rvs at all, 2 said no buses, 2 said no conversions. The others were professional conversions okay, and National General said we'll do it liability only and need photos to review for approval.

But for the insurance, the DMV/registration classification doesn't necessarily matter. They check the VIN, so if it comes back bus or semi tractor then we'd have to talk to an Underwriter and explain, and then get a copy of the registration to verify the VIN. If the VIN isn't checked, it gives us an option for vehicle type, like National General has BUS CONVERSION for a vehicle type on their RVs. Then it's up the underwriting/carrier as to what else they need to verify.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: C-60
Engine: 350 chevy
Rated Cap: 65 passengers
hello again thanks for you're information. Took your advice and went to the dmv today and ended paying all fees due and got the problem taken care off. It cost a lot but nice to have it off my mind... now to locate insurance in ca..... onward... thanks again.. best wishes
itchy feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy feet View Post
hello again thanks for you're information. Took your advice and went to the dmv today and ended paying all fees due and got the problem taken care off. It cost a lot but nice to have it off my mind... now to locate insurance in ca..... onward... thanks again.. best wishes
What ended up being the solution for the time being?
Old 08-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: C-60
Engine: 350 chevy
Rated Cap: 65 passengers
what i had was to insure the vehicle in ok where it was registered, then just transfer the title to ca.... rego for ten years $179 plus ins to move it $200. verses rego. $2ooo , plus insurance... no idea if I can even get ins here .....I hope i'm not throwing more $ to finish up this endeavor...i realize it was for my fault for understanding the rules, so that's it for the time being... snooze you loose...... thanks for your interest..
itchy feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

We need insurance for our 2000 Thomas that we bought as Progressive will not insure as a private bus or converted diy. Nothing has been done to it yet. Located in Northern Virginia please help, thanks.
MarqnDee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Mid Bus, Inc Ohio
Chassis: GMC Savanna 3500
Engine: 5.7 Vortec, GMC
Rated Cap: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
I'm the agent that Dapplecreek posted the contact information for. I also helped a skoolie get a policy last week.

Our agency is licensed in multiple states and we have options.

I don't mind questions or what if scenarios, so have at it! There will be times that I won't answer a question on the forum, but will via email or phone.

- Ricky Burgess, Manager @ M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Ricky,
Does a repurposed short bus "always" have to carry commercial insurance? My current carrier will not renew in May. My agent wrote the personal liabilty policy based on the title stating GMC Savanna.
I'm in VA.
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
I consider our immediate area VA, WV, NC & MD.
I'm in MD in the DC burbs. When I get my bus, I'll be talking to you.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Would like to get our options for insurance so we can pickup our bus. Can you list an email or number that I can reach out to
Old 04-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
It looks to me like he has not been on the board since December.

A phone call might be a good idea.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:13 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Do you have a number for him? Or an email address?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #33
Skoolie

I thought my info was shared already. Fortunately I do get emails to replies on this thread.

5402663074 or 4344726244, either comes directly to me
rburgess at insuresvirginia dot com
www.insuresvirginia.com
Old 04-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #34

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Skoolie in VA looking for insurance

Hello, I'm a va skoolie and have had a terrible time finding insurance. I resorted to paying the uninsured fee for the moment while I sort all that out. Would love to get in contact with you and see if we can work a policy out. My email is; neilschindel@gmail.com

Thanks so much
S.S.SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Bump: Ricky Burgess had a policy in place for my bus in a day or two after calling him. Yay!
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote