Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Skoolie

Insurance agent in VA

I'm the agent that Dapplecreek posted the contact information for. I also helped a skoolie get a policy last week.

Our agency is licensed in multiple states and we have options.

I don't mind questions or what if scenarios, so have at it! There will be times that I won't answer a question on the forum, but will via email or phone.

- Ricky Burgess, Manager @ M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.

sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
I'm the agent that Dapplecreek posted the contact information for. I also helped a skoolie get a policy last week.

Our agency is licensed in multiple states and we have options.

I don't mind questions or what if scenarios, so have at it! There will be times that I won't answer a question on the forum, but will via email or phone.

- Ricky Burgess, Manager @ M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
You do any business in FL?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You do any business in FL?
We have access to Safeco in FL, but at least in VA they would not cover a bus. We also have Safeco in AK & NY, but for states outside of our immediate area I'd suggest an independent agent in that state. Every state is different as far as vehicle rules and insurance.

I consider our immediate area VA, WV, NC & MD. We're not licensed for TN.

If you haven't, check out Trusted Choice. They are a network for finding independent agents.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Sorry to thread jack. Its just always worth checking. I'd love to save some $$.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Sorry to thread jack. Its just always worth checking. I'd love to save some $$.
No problem, don't mind answering questions. It's the point of the thread after all!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
We have access to Safeco in FL, but at least in VA they would not cover a bus. We also have Safeco in AK & NY, but for states outside of our immediate area I'd suggest an independent agent in that state. Every state is different as far as vehicle rules and insurance.

I consider our immediate area VA, WV, NC & MD. We're not licensed for TN.

If you haven't, check out Trusted Choice. They are a network for finding independent agents.
MD? That's the magic word! You will be hearing from me when the time comes.

On a related topic, that white prison bus fell through. I'd be happy to give out contact info for the owner; just PM me. Can't recommend him for his communications ability. Also, the mechanic I (unsuccessfully) attempted to retain for an inspection told the owner that the bus "would not make a long journey" and I happened to be cc:ed on that. So take it with a grain of salt.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
MD? That's the magic word! You will be hearing from me when the time comes.

On a related topic, that white prison bus fell through. I'd be happy to give out contact info for the owner; just PM me. Can't recommend him for his communications ability. Also, the mechanic I (unsuccessfully) attempted to retain for an inspection told the owner that the bus "would not make a long journey" and I happened to be cc:ed on that. So take it with a grain of salt.
Unless we get National General in MD, I won't be much help right now.

However I have reached out to Natgen to see what other states we can get set up in. I've also sent requests out to see what other options are open to me, in VA and elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Ricky, thanks for this. Big help! I hope other ins. folks step up and help.

After I got my bus home and found out my current carrier wouldn't touch it and (like most) I went on a frantic search for ins.

I am in AZ and I did contact AIS and they did refer me to a few and AZ Farm Bureau got my business.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Ricky, thanks for this. Big help! I hope other ins. folks step up and help.

After I got my bus home and found out my current carrier wouldn't touch it and (like most) I went on a frantic search for ins.

I am in AZ and I did contact AIS and they did refer me to a few and AZ Farm Bureau got my business.
From what I'm hearing lots of people have a problem finding insurance for these. Most of what I heard from the companies was no unless it's a professional conversion. I like getting quotes like these, and I like helping people, so this works great.

So did the AZ FB do liability only or give you some property coverage too? For me, National General has said, only in VA so far, liability only. I have to have photos and they will approve/deny based on photos and other information.

In the course of quoting one last week I found out one my companies will not do a school bus conversion, but will consider a greyhound on a case-by-case basis. I'm thinking it's because they come from the factory with the electrical and plumbing, but the rep I spoke with didn't have any insight as to why. That's the thing to remember, we the agents talk to customer service reps and underwriters, none of whom wrote the actual rules. Some of them have the ability and discretion to accept things that are different, others don't have that ability.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
My experience dealing with this guy: I've been quite impressed with Mr. Burgess' professionalism and warmth - a good trick to be able to do both at the same time! He's been very patient with my questions and 'please call me backs'. He found a company that looks to save me well over a hundred a year for the same auto coverage. He also brought to light that I was waaaay underinsured for my home, and his rates (adjusted to allow for comparison with my current coverage) are perhaps twenty percent less than I'm paying now. So I'll be going with him for auto and home, for less than I'm paying now, for a WHOLE lot more coverage. And I'll hit him up for bus coverage when the time comes.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #11
Skoolie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
My experience dealing with this guy: I've been quite impressed with Mr. Burgess' professionalism and warmth - a good trick to be able to do both at the same time! He's been very patient with my questions and 'please call me backs'. He found a company that looks to save me well over a hundred a year for the same auto coverage. He also brought to light that I was waaaay underinsured for my home, and his rates (adjusted to allow for comparison with my current coverage) are perhaps twenty percent less than I'm paying now. So I'll be going with him for auto and home, for less than I'm paying now, for a WHOLE lot more coverage. And I'll hit him up for bus coverage when the time comes.
Glad I could help! Thank you!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Glad I could help! Thank you!

Do you have any connections in Oklahoma?
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
Do you have any connections in Oklahoma?
Off hand I don't know any. National General would be a good place to check first. It seems like Progressive is getting away from anything that isn't a professional conversion, that's what I was told here in VA anyway. If trustedchoice doesn't have anything there, I'd search for independent insurance agent or rv insurance <closest large city>, then try narrowing to where you are if you're in a small town.

Speaking of Progressive, I was told that the bus body style was unacceptable for personal or commercial. Professional conversion for RV. If unconverted & personal use they might be acceptable under specialty lines.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #14
Bus Nut

This is beginning to smell like the RV industry not liking more affordable competition. The RV industry in Australia is lobbying to make homemade conversions illegal...
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
AZFB liability/um only is all I requested.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #16

HI! I have just purchased a micro bluebird bus. I would like to license it before i convert it so I need to license it as a commercial bus, I do not need a cdl however. does your company offer these types of policies>
Goldie Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie Haul View Post
HI! I have just purchased a micro bluebird bus. I would like to license it before i convert it so I need to license it as a commercial bus, I do not need a cdl however. does your company offer these types of policies>
I would have to get more information from you on the vehicle and then make some calls. Aside from these conversion calls I've never been asked to insure a bus. But I don't mind checking it out for you!

If you wouldn't mind, call or email me and I can look into it. All our contact information is on Home, Auto, & Life Insurance | Moneta VA/Forest VA | M L Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.. And the same info was given in the insurance/title section, http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/vi...all-14480.html.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: C-60
Engine: 350 chevy
Rated Cap: 65 passengers
good day sir. welcome... I have a bus that was registered in ok. in 1906. I want to move the vehicle to ca. but having problems with ins. ok needs at least liability to move it.. ins. companies will not insure me because I live in ca.... suggestions? ... thank you for any suggestions you may offer.
itchy feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Off hand I don't know any. National General would be a good place to check first. It seems like Progressive is getting away from anything that isn't a professional conversion, that's what I was told here in VA anyway. If trustedchoice doesn't have anything there, I'd search for independent insurance agent or rv insurance <closest large city>, then try narrowing to where you are if you're in a small town.

Speaking of Progressive, I was told that the bus body style was unacceptable for personal or commercial. Professional conversion for RV. If unconverted & personal use they might be acceptable under specialty lines.
Thanks for the reply.
I did talk to National General.
They won't touch until it is done and I send pictures in of the main rooms... Sleeping/ bathroom/ kitchen /plumbing etc. Then they go from there. All he told me is it needs to "LOOK" professional. Doesn't have to be fancy just no 2*4s showing type thing. But I will check the others as well.

Question... If the state sees it to change the bus title to an "RV" and recognize as such wouldn't that mean an insurance company would see it as that as well even if it is a conversion?

Also thanks for coming on the forum and trying to help answer questions. It is an issue and its nice to have someone to bounce questions off.

Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #20
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
This is beginning to smell like the RV industry not liking more affordable competition.
Makes one wonder that's for sure.