Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 AM   #1

Year: 1999
Rated Cap: 72
Insurance I had Progressive until they said they absolutely do not cover Skoolies

I just wanted to put this out there because I see others have Progressive for insurance. I purchased my bus a little over a week ago and called around finally got Progressive. I explained exactly what I was doing and the guy said they cover both pre and post conversion. I called today only because I was having an issue logging in. I started talking to the lady she was super nice and very supportive of skoolies and tiny homes but she was shocked I was able to get insurance. She put me on hold and came back saying that Progressive has a strict policy about School Bus Conversions and they do not insure them. She said any policy I had would not have covered me if I had been in an accident. She also said my policy was cancelled effective immediately. I told her I was really surprised since I've seen several people say they are insured with them. She said they're not going to be covered if anything happened since the commercial policy for personal use does not cover a school bus conversion. I just wanted to let people know. I'm calling AIS and feel hopeful about that since right on their website it has the option to choose school bus conversion. Thank you all for all the helpful tips I've already found on this site.

Adventurebus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #2

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 71
We had the same thing happen to us last month by Progressive
Dayzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
from what it seems is they will cover your school bus as long as its still a bus. and not after its converted,. I just started my 3rd year with them for both my busses.. both of mine are pretty much unconverted.. the DEV bus has house batteries, a work area/ cabinet, table. but otherwise stock interior with some of its original seats.. my red bus is still fully factory-seated.

so it seems like a viable option for those who are getting their busses home, or are in conversion process but not afterwords..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Several members here have secured Progressive policies only to have them cancel within weeks or a couple months of obtaining them. They would have a tough time telling me I wasn't covered because it's a bus if I had a valid paid for policy in my hand.
Brings up some interesting thoughts. CFPU works to get it home, but is it still CFPU after i've removed the seats? It's still not an RV yet, so no regular coverage available. Is there a point during the build that we are in limbo?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
more than one got cancelled when they swapped their title and registration to Motorhome, the cancellation letters came a couple months later.. whats wierd is one of mine is a MH title.. it came that way.. the red one is titled and registered as a Non DOT bus in ohio..

this also im guessing is state by state.. im in ohio where progressive first started and is HQ'd. they may have nmore product offerings in ohio..

but I think yesat some point you become Limbo'd. perhaps thats the time you yank and cancel the registration unless you need / want to drive it while converting..

In Ohio (check GA laws).. you CAN own an uninsured motor vehicle as long as its not registered.. if it has a plate in it even if you never pull it out of the driveway they can nail you for non-insurance under law and then your life gets bad quick. as license suspansion and automatic high risk (like a drunk) for the next few years.. not sure how GA handles insurance on vehicles you dont drive..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Several members here have secured Progressive policies only to have them cancel within weeks or a couple months of obtaining them. They would have a tough time telling me I wasn't covered because it's a bus if I had a valid paid for policy in my hand.
Brings up some interesting thoughts. CFPU works to get it home, but is it still CFPU after i've removed the seats? It's still not an RV yet, so no regular coverage available. Is there a point during the build that we are in limbo?
I had USAA deny me for a fender bender on the way home with my first bus back in 03'.
Even after I called them and they said I was ok, they still denied me.

From then on all insurance has been for me is a piece of paper that says I'm allowed to use the public roads because I sent some big company my money.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Everything is on computer, now the officer no longer asks you for proof of insurance because he knows whether you have valid insurance or not before he knocks on your window. If you insurance lapses or is canceled in any way the insurance company notifies the state and the state will suspend your license until you have proof of insurance. You can get the registration fees and penalties waived by presenting a letter of non operation for that period.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'm in ohio, and was dropped by progressive. Also dropped by National general.

No skoolie conversions for progressive was the reason I was given. National General said I wasn't converted enough

Mine is converted as far as I'm willing to go with it.

I didn't argue with any of them.

I called my agent and they found me someone else. I now have all of my policies with them.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International Amtran
Engine: DT530E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I recieved CFPU today through progressive & told them it didn't have seats, still gave me a policy. They were very adamant that I call them when I met the state requirementsof an rv as I would no longer be covered at that point. Recorded the whole conversation just in case they try to back track.
Eclipse436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
In GA, if you wish to own a vehicle without insurance, the proper procedure is to head to your local tag office, and tell them you wish to "Cancel Registration", as the vehicle will not be driven. You still pay annual tags, and is easily reinstated (Free?) once you have insurance again. The state may (used to, don't know if they still do or not) send a letter about the uninsured vehicle, you check on the form that it's parked/not driven and return it within a few days. Easy as that.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote