Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
Scared to Post

Intro & Need Expert Opinion

Hello All,

My name is Emily. I'm 23, and am on track to receive my bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering in May from RIT. I'm finishing that degree living in Rochester, NY; but I'm originally from a small town in NH (near Manchester), shout out to any fellow NHerites or New Englanders! I came across the idea of a converted school bus while researching general tiny homes.

My S.O., Erik, is graduating from the same program with me, and then is headed to graduate school for a PhD. We don't yet know where, so we're sort of in this limbo of wanting to plan our future, but not yet having all the details. I have been an RA most of my time at RIT, but this past year Erik and I moved in together. The idea of paying so much money in renting an apartment and not really having much of an investment return or the feeling of a "home" really got to me. Especially because at this stage of my life, there are several big-ticket items coming my way. Erik and I would eventually like to get married, we both have student loans we'll need to pay off, and eventually we need a home to call our own.

I started researching tiny homes because of the appealing lower prices without -in my opinion-many sacrifices, the mobility (since the next few years we won't know exactly where we're living, and we both LOVE to travel) and the appeal of customization/personalization.

Additionally, I have always felt there is no better feeling than building something yourself. When I came across a video of a school bus converted into an RV/mobile home, I knew this was the answer I was searching for.

I have a lot of questions; Erik and I are currently in the information gathering stage. We are both committed to doing the conversion, but we'd like to gather more information and create a detailed plan of each aspect of the conversion. I am not a complete newbie to using tools, I have done a few woodworking projects and am comfortable in machine shop, which gives me a bit of confidence. The one thing I'm a little anxious about is the automobile aspect of the bus, because neither I nor Erik know much about automobiles; but we are here to learn. Sorry for the ramble and long Introduction!

My first question:
I have seen some pictures/youtube videos of buses with cabin space added to the roof. The two I've seen had the tops of cars attached; I posted examples below. I've looked around the forum and haven't really found the information I'm looking for. I don't know a lot about metal-working, I'm wondering what it would take to make this work?

EX1: 1993 Blue Bird Bus Conversion - NED (Never Ending Dream)

EX2: https://youtu.be/hAY9UXA1k-Y?t=4m54s

EJSans2 is offline   Reply With Quote