Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #1

Intro Post

Hi everyone! I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet! I'm a college student on the east coast with plans to take a year off and travel the country. Ideally I want to build the bus in six months and can dedicate at least 8 hours a day to it. That being said, I'm not the most experienced with this kind of work. My budget is $10k to have a fully converted, road-ready bus. I have no idea where to start. I'm looking for any advice and pointers that can help me get started.

mpk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy Blue Bird Mini Bird (P30)
Engine: GM Diesel 6.2
I was a student and now I'm working upwards of 65 hours of week between two jobs. My budget is also 10k, but I want to have it done within a year. Hopefully less, though, haha. I know the basics.. buy the bus in an auction or on Craigslist then gut it out, seats and all. From there, the insulation and everything. I'm not 100% sure on any of that but I'm pretty sure that's the basics on how to start. I've been eyeing some buses on Craigslist for less than 3k in South Florida.
jacobszall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Hey...maybe the two of you might want to get together and see if you hit it off. You could work together on building a bus and traveling.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #4

Just a word of advice depending on what u can live with its very easy to get carried away i had a 10k budget and im about 25k now lol
sburge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 77
Am I hearing this right? You want to start/finish a bus by the end of this coming spring semester? If that's the case, good luck to you, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, especially with that budget. Welcome to the community though.