Old 10-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger
Is this how Dorothy felt at the start of the yellow brick road?

Hi! My name is George T. I am 23 years old and just graduated from Purdue as an electrical engineer. I moved from my hometown in Schererville, Indiana (Just outside of Chicago/Gary) to Corpus Christi, Texas this past July. I have been following several different vlogs online as well as articles on this website for quite some time. Now that I have a "big boy job," I decided to take a leap of faith and purchase a 2002 International 71pax bus with 150k miles on it from publicsurplus.com. Now the adventure begins. I'll be driving my bus home from Austin to Corpus Christi this weekend. I am very eager to learn as much as possible about bus conversions and utilize this website.

PS - Any tips or pointers on driving a bus would be greatly appreciated.
gtownsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownsen View Post
<snip>

Don't hit anything

Welcome, have you gone to the huge crab festival yet?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Hi! My name is George T. I am 23 years old and just graduated from Purdue as an electrical engineer. I moved from my hometown in Schererville, Indiana (Just outside of Chicago/Gary) to Corpus Christi, Texas this past July. I have been following several different vlogs online as well as articles on this website for quite some time. Now that I have a "big boy job," I decided to take a leap of faith and purchase a 2002 International 71pax bus with 150k miles on it from publicsurplus.com. Now the adventure begins. I'll be driving my bus home from Austin to Corpus Christi this weekend. I am very eager to learn as much as possible about bus conversions and utilize this website.

KEEP all of mirrors!!! they help!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:

Go very slow on Turns. and Curves. When you have things sliding back and forth or front to rear then that is too fast.

Drive 25 miles or so and find a place to sit and idle for about 15 minutes. Do a walk around inspection and VERY importantly look for oil leaks underneath etc.

Now pat yourself on the back. Think how easy that first stretch was. This is just a big long truck. Very possibly a previous driver was a middle aged blue hair!

Plan that anywhere you turn into has a forward way out. No need for you to learn backingskills today.

You must let engine idle at least 5 minutes before shutdown to prevent damage to the Turbo.

Do Not get it hot. Do not familiarize yourself with all the switches etc While driving. Keep your eyes on the road. No phone calls no texting. Smart and fun thing is to have an assistant along to help out watching out for things and behind you to help scan gauges . Don't try to make that light. Slow is good,slow is fun.slow is safe. On open highway stay at about 61 mph at the most. On this trip don't open her up to see what she will do. You need to get on it when accelerating up ramps hills etc to keep engine cool.

You will make it

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
This is just a big long truck. Very possibly a previous driver was a middle aged blue hair!
One of our daily drivers is an 80+-year-old woman.

She has no problems with a 40 foot bus, and 70 children.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post

80 year-old lady takes no crap ! She's been around the block a few times...

old_lady.jpg
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I feel 80....does that count?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post

SHOULDN'T BE HARD FOR A 23 YEAR OLD TO UNDERSTAND THAT. THANKS
darn caps. sorry.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Check youtube for CDL walkarounds. My first time out was even more harrowing because I didn't properly do a walkaround first.

The second time I did a walk around - best thing I did because I found something the mechanic missed. Saved me a possible accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You must let engine idle at least 5 minutes before shutdown to prevent damage to the Turbo.
Wow, learn something new every day.... Versatile, can you go into more explanation on this point, please?
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Check youtube for CDL walkarounds. My first time out was even more harrowing because I didn't properly do a walkaround first.

The second time I did a walk around - best thing I did because I found something the mechanic missed. Saved me a possible accident!

Wow, learn something new every day.... Versatile, can you go into more explanation on this point, please?
The Turbochargers temps are very high. Shut it down before the temps come down about a 1000 degrees and risk frying the lubricant in the bearings..