Old 07-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone know what the interior height will be in this bus?
The Rockwood Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

So I have some good and some bad news. The good news is I got a hold of the mechanic finally today and he told me that previously when we talked about the specs on my bus he gave me the wrong info on accident. It turns out that my bus has a dt466, not a dt444!!!!! That is great news to me! But the bad news is I found out that it does in fact have a at545 transmission in it... I'm kind of worried about it because I will be driving it for upwards of 10 hours all interstate to get it home.

Should I be worried???
Anyone know what I'll be looking at for max speed?
Will I murder this tranny if I floor it the entire way?
Does anyone have any advice on anything I can do to prevent problems on my drive?

Thank you to anyone who has some answers for me! I'm leaving at noon tomorrow to pick it up. I have to drive my 11 hour overnight shift and then when I get home I have to jump straight in the car and drive 8-9 hours down to Missouri... haha, I seriously don't mind driving mega distances in one day so this should be fun! Wish me luck!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rockwood Colony View Post
So I have some good and some bad news. The good news is I got a hold of the mechanic finally today and he told me that previously when we talked about the specs on my bus he gave me the wrong info on accident. It turns out that my bus has a dt466, not a dt444!!!!! That is great news to me! But the bad news is I found out that it does in fact have a at545 transmission in it... I'm kind of worried about it because I will be driving it for upwards of 10 hours all interstate to get it home.

Should I be worried???
Does anyone have any advice on anything I can do to prevent problems on my drive?

Thank you to anyone who has some answers for me! I'm leaving at noon tomorrow to pick it up. I have to drive my 11 hour overnight shift and then when I get home I have to jump straight in the car and drive 8-9 hours down to Missouri... haha, I seriously don't mind driving mega distances in one day so this should be fun! Wish me luck!
PLENTY of 466's came with 545's.
CrazyCal the moderator drove one from TN to CA, so I wouldn't worry.
When/IF the trans ever dies upgrade to a 643!
I'd be way more excited about the 466!
WHat I'd do would be get it up to MAX speed once you're out on the interstate and its warmed up and all. find out what max rpm is and back off 200 rpm or so and see how it does.
You'll be fine.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Should I be worried???

I have an 86 37 passenger bluebird that I've run at 65mph for extended periods and it didn't seem to bother it in the least. I hope that gives you a little more confidence

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
jmcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcustom View Post
I have an 86 37 passenger bluebird that I've run at 65mph for extended periods and it didn't seem to bother it in the least. I hope that gives you a little more confidence

It really depends on what the gearing in the rear end is, as that will dictate what your top speed will be

Old 07-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
PLENTY of 466's came with 545's.
CrazyCal the moderator drove one from TN to CA, so I wouldn't worry.
When/IF the trans ever dies upgrade to a 643!
I'd be way more excited about the 466!
WHat I'd do would be get it up to MAX speed once you're out on the interstate and its warmed up and all. find out what max rpm is and back off 200 rpm or so and see how it does.
You'll be fine.
Thank you! That does make me feel better. He told me too that they have another at545 that is pulled out with about 100k miles on it and he said they'd sell it to me for $100................. I was thinking that was too good of a deal to pass up but I'm not so sure now. It would be nice to have. How many people can say they have a back up tranny just in case right? Maybe more than I think probably.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I wouldn't pay for one. If they threw it in free I'd take it though.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

I assuming your bluebird has the same setup as mine. Thanks! That does make me feel better.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
It really depends on what the gearing in the rear end is, as that will dictate what your top speed will be

How do I check that? What should I look for? What's good and what's bad?
Old 07-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
How do I check that? What should I look for? What's good and what's bad?
The chassis vin # should be able to provide that info. Just call the dealer and have them look it up for you

Tags
amtran, dt466, family travels, skoolie, the rockwood colony